The YoYoMan

Default sea level where is it ?

Ep!

where is the zero point of "sea level" (gps coordinates) ????

in what sea/ocean ????

in what point ???

how is measured altitude of mountains ?

how mach meters have the Gaorisankar (Everest) ???
some people say 8.848 others 8.850... what is correct ???

Dead sea is at "sea level" ???

the big depression in water surface in Indic ocean of -300m. is also at "sea
level" ??

after indic tsunami and global changes in planet "sea level" also sufer
variations ???

a reveure des Catalunya, the YoYoMan :-)

DSK

The YoYoMan wrote:
Ep!

where is the zero point of "sea level" (gps coordinates) ????

That depends on how you set the datum. Look in the menus of your GPS
machine and see which datum sets are available, then Google up the
references to see which is most appropriate for your usage & area.

in what sea/ocean ????

Varies widely, "mean sea level" for specific areas is defined by
averaging out the tidal variation over a 19 year cycle.

how is measured altitude of mountains ?

With a very very long piece of string.

DSK

Hank Oredson

"DSK" wrote in message
The YoYoMan wrote:
Ep!

where is the zero point of "sea level" (gps coordinates) ????

That depends on how you set the datum. Look in the menus of your GPS
machine and see which datum sets are available, then Google up the
references to see which is most appropriate for your usage & area.

in what sea/ocean ????

Varies widely, "mean sea level" for specific areas is defined by averaging
out the tidal variation over a 19 year cycle.

how is measured altitude of mountains ?

With a very very long piece of string.

Oh for heavens sake! Please help me get the coffee off my monitor.
Just a side note, the string is usually emplaced by wild geocachers.

--

... Hank

http://home.earthlink.net/~horedson
http://home.earthlink.net/~w0rli

Joe

Sea level is at your waterline.

Your welcome.

Joe

Rod Burns

"The YoYoMan" escribió en el mensaje

Ep!

where is the zero point of "sea level" (gps coordinates) ????

in what sea/ocean ????

in what point ???

I think the reference is not a point but a surface, the geoid surface, which
is an oblate spheroid that is determined I think by measuring the gravity (I
don't know how, thpough). This gives 0 meter altitude.

how is measured altitude of mountains ?

how mach meters have the Gaorisankar (Everest) ???
some people say 8.848 others 8.850... what is correct ???

Actually the Chinese are just sending a mission to determine the new height
of the Everest, since it is believed that Everest snow cap is melting down
due to global warming.

Dead sea is at "sea level" ???

Dead sea is approx 400m below sea level.
http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20010920.html

the big depression in water surface in Indic ocean of -300m. is also at
"sea
level" ??

I didn't know that. Where did you find that ?

after indic tsunami and global changes in planet "sea level" also sufer
variations ???

Actually, parts of sumatra shore ahev dived under water, beacuse the
earthquake have lowered part of the island. The variation of sea level was
but transient, as far as I know.

a reveure des Catalunya, the YoYoMan :-)

Doncs si home, a reveure ! Que vagi be a Catalunya ! Coneixes-tu foros de
geología en castellá o en catalá ? En vaig buscar pero no vaig trobar rés.

The YoYoMan

¨
¨ "The YoYoMan" escribió en el mensaje
¨ ...
¨
¨ Ep!
¨
[...]

what ? :-) snow are a thing variable!!! stupid people not insert a bar of metal
in snow for found the real top of rock ? oooooh my god!!!

¨ Dead sea is at "sea level" ???
¨ Dead sea is approx 400m below sea level.
¨ http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20010920.html

a sea and his "sea level" are under "sea level" ???? very crazy no ?

¨ the big depression in water surface in Indic ocean of -300m. is also at
¨ "sea
¨ level" ??
¨
¨ I didn't know that. Where did you find that ?

in book:
1001 things everyone should know about science
by james trefil

¨ after indic tsunami and global changes in planet "sea level" also sufer
¨ variations ???
¨ Actually, parts of sumatra shore ahev dived under water, beacuse the
¨ earthquake have lowered part of the island. The variation of sea level was
¨ but transient, as far as I know.

after gibraltar terra connection with africa break the sea level of all
mediterranian coast make a big elevation... if a wall are builded another time
betheen africa and al-andalus the "sea level" of mediterranean sea return to his
original level... and many cities and constructions rising...

¨ a reveure des Catalunya, the YoYoMan :-)
¨
¨
¨ Doncs si home, a reveure ! Que vagi be a Catalunya ! Coneixes-tu foros de
¨ geología en castellá o en catalá ? En vaig buscar pero no vaig trobar rés.
¨
llistes en catala:
La Teranyina - Samizdat. Llistes de correu dels Països Catalans
http://www.teranyina.net/samizdat.html
tambe potser trobes quelcom a : www.rescat.net/
a l'institut cartografic de catalunya: www.icc.es

dona un cop d'ull a les llistes de www.rediris.es i no t'estranys que encara
aquests paios escriguin amb ploma natural, potet de tinta i suca que sucaras :-)

per cert has mirat la ESRA o ESNA la base de dades en 3-d de la nasa de la terra
de la zona dels pirineus ?

fins aviat i que vagui be pel canada! :-)
jimirwin

Rod Burns wrote in sci.geo.geology:

I think the reference is not a point but a surface, the geoid surface,
which is an oblate spheroid that is determined I think by measuring
the gravity (I don't know how, thpough). This gives 0 meter altitude.

Very close. The ellipsoid is a mathematical reference surface used by
geodesists and cartographers. There are several, but GRS80 or WGS84 are
most commonly used today.

The geoid is a gravitational equipotential surface undulating above and
below the ellipsoid. The WGS84 value for the gravitational potential was
chosen for best fit to the global sea surface, but it doesn't follow the
sea surface. [In fact "the geoid" is a misnomer, since there are actually
several different potentials that have merit.]

Mean sea level is location dependent and may vary from the geoid due to
ocean dynamics. Different datums specify mean sea level by averaging
designated tide guages.

Elevation is measured with reference to a datum.

--
Jim Irwin
http://www.holoscenes.com
maison.mousse

jimirwin a écrit dans le message ...
[...]

mean sea level -A tidal datum: the arithmetic mean of hourly water
elevations observed over a specific 19-year cycle. Points on land can be
referenced to a mean sea level, in which case the datum assumes zero
elevation.

" sea level is not a simple surface. Since the sea surface conforms to the
earth's gravitational field, MSL also has slight hills and valleys that are
similar to the land surface but much smoother. However, zero elevation as
defined by Spain is not the same zero elevation defined by Canada, which is
why locally defined vertical datums differ from each other."

The geoid corresponds to mean sea level.
In land covered areas, the geoid is the surface that would be determined by
the level to which water would rise in narrow canals cut through the
continents.

JOL

jimirwin

maison.mousse wrote in sci.geo.geology:

Since the sea surface conforms to the
earth's gravitational field, MSL also has slight hills and valleys
that are similar to the land surface but much smoother.

Yes, the mean sea surface (a.k.a. mean ocean topography) conforms to the
gravitational potential surface to within about 1 meter. Ocean topography
is also affected by long term conditions such as prevailing winds,
currents, temperature, and salinity -- factors in addition to the
gravitational field. The Geoid is defined by the gravitational field
alone.

There are efforts to quantify the differences more accurately.

--
Jim Irwin
http://www.holoscenes.com
Gilligan

Yo,

Yo man. Mean sea level is almost an arbitrary point. It's picked for a best
fit of data. Mount Everest is not the tallest mountain when measured from
the center of the earth. Chimborazo in Ecuador is. The ocean has depressions
in it all over the place. Gravity is not the same over the earth's surface.
The world standard for sea level and the gravitational constant is located
here on Gilligans Island 10 meters from the stern of the Minnow, right next
to the Captain Neal shrine. The Professor keeps it calibrated on a daily
basis.
Hope this helps.

Gilligan