BoatBanter.com

-   -   Remember; Winter Sailing (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/27236-re-remember%3B-winter-sailing.html)

Scott Vernon January 22nd 05 01:35 AM

This proves it, only Bobspit would post something this contemptible.
BBob, you really are one sorry asshole.

SV

wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:09:03 -0500, "Scott Vernon"

wrote:

wrote

Only an asshole would continue to post binaries to a non-bianry

group after
being told it was the wrong thing to do. This can hurt the group

in
a long term
way. Please don't do it ever again.

BBob the asshole

Hurt the group? WTF are you babbling about, you idiot?

News Servers are monitored by their owners for bandwidth use. They

determine how
long to keep posts in various groups based on how much bandwidth

they use. Busy
groups get watched more closely. If people start posting binaries to

a non
binary group that is also a fairly busy group, they shorten the

retention time
for ALL posts to that group, and in some cases, drop the group

entirely. It has
happened. Meanwhile, some of the most major News Servers

automatically kill any
posts with binaries attached, posted to non-binary groups, so your

message will
not even be seen by a large percentage of people. It's a stupid

thing to do,
which is why Web TV idiots such as Thom do it. He'll be dead soon,

so hopefully
it won't be an on going issue.

BB

Thom Stewart January 22nd 05 04:02 AM

John,

I just re-pubilished the addy.

BB is correct, I'm sorry to say, I added another Page and didn't publish
it

It is so easy to send a single picture with my new VCR/DVD and Digital
Camera that I went wild.

My apologies.

Try it now, as I'm going to do right now.

Ole Thom

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsHomePage

Thom Stewart January 22nd 05 07:07 AM

John,

I hope you got access to My Page. If you didn't let me know and I'll
e-mail you direct

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsHomePage

Scott Vernon January 22nd 05 02:11 PM

it works for me.

Scotty

"John Cairns" wrote in message
om...

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
BB,

I do believe, LP has put you down!!

Ole Thom

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsHomePage

Keep clicking on this link and getting page cannot be found message.

Would
like to see a pic of your boat, could you please post a useable

link?

John Cairns

Thom Stewart January 22nd 05 04:37 PM

Steve,

The boat is a "Gulf 29" made by Capital Yachts ( Now out of business) It
is a great boat and Capital was very helpful in semi-customizing it for
me.

Stay tuned in, I'm planning on post some more pictures of the interior
of the Pilothouse and the way I set it up for "Single handed sailing"

bell January 22nd 05 05:28 PM

Scott Vernon wrote:
it works for me.

Scotty

It works here (and always has since the "Ole" guy has been posting it). I
think it's that sbcglobal.net thing. They took over and ruined several
good ISPs. Cairns needs to give sbcglobal.net the boot.

John Cairns January 22nd 05 09:42 PM

"bell" wrote in message
Scott Vernon wrote:
it works for me.

Scotty

It works here (and always has since the "Ole" guy has been posting it). I
think it's that sbcglobal.net thing. They took over and ruined several
good ISPs. Cairns needs to give sbcglobal.net the boot.

You needed to read Thom's response.

John Cairns

John Cairns January 22nd 05 09:44 PM

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
John,

I hope you got access to My Page. If you didn't let me know and I'll
e-mail you direct

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsHomePage

Works fine now. Have seen line drawings of a Gulf 29, never have seen one
"in the flesh". Thanks.

John Cairns

Thom Stewart January 22nd 05 11:52 PM

John

Just added another picture of the Gulf 29 out of the water. when I
published it the same picture came up on the unpublished one that
screwed up the page. Enjoy both. Young pups and old dogs are still
having problems with the "Home Page"

You work it out.

John Cairns January 23rd 05 12:17 AM

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
John

Just added another picture of the Gulf 29 out of the water. when I
published it the same picture came up on the unpublished one that
screwed up the page. Enjoy both. Young pups and old dogs are still
having problems with the "Home Page"

You work it out.

Ole Thom

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsHomePage

I'm thinking you were working on the page when I tried to look at it the
first time. Noticed the wing keel, will the boat sit upright when the tide
goes out?

John Cairns

Thom Stewart January 23rd 05 12:52 AM

Crapton Neal;

My main is 160 sq ft. Larger than yours. What is the size of your Hong
Kong Main anyhow? You should be able to give us a very accurate reading
right off your purchase sheet as I did.

My "J" is 11' 10". I carry a 319 sq ft Jenny on a furler. It is a 10-40
HH Regulater 150%

For light air I have a Hild 170% Drifter which is 331 sq ft, which I can
fly free behind the rolled up jenny or I can remove the Jenny and set
the Drifter in the slot on the twin groove furler, for racing purpose in
Cruising Class,

I also, carry a Assy. Spinnaker that falls somewhere in between the
Jenny and the Drifter. Not sure exactly the sq ft ? I've modified it a
few times. Added panels to it between the bottom panel (2) Eased the top
Vertical section some when I put it in the sleeve.

That's my sails. I know my "P" is higher than yours because you told me
the main I offered you was to long. Tell us Neal, what is the size of
Rig?

Donal January 23rd 05 01:08 AM

wrote in message

Too bad, Donald. Just like that nearly dead asswipe Thom, I'll continue to

do as
I please. If you don't like it, then don't read it.

I don't killfile .. so I guess that I'll just have to read your drivel.
However, I suspect that everybody else has already killfiled you.

I doubt that I'll respond to you again. You'll fade away like the other
social misfits who had brief moments of fame on ASA. Goodbye.

Regards

Donal

Steve Thomas January 23rd 05 01:20 AM

Nice boat.
Like a C&C with a pilot house.
The extra windage must seem a small price when the weather is cold and wet.

Thom Stewart January 23rd 05 01:30 AM

John,

Never tried it (Sitting on the wing out of the water.) Damn well don't
intend to try it either. With the wind we have around here know it
wouldn't stay upright

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsHomePage

Thom Stewart January 23rd 05 03:43 AM

Steve,

You're making a terrible mistake listening to Neal's nonsense. He just
fires for effect.
Look at Pneuma profile as compared to the Catalena 30 moored on the same
finger pier. (Picture number three.) You tell me which boat has the
higher windage.
The Cat 30's cabin and the top of the Pilothouse are at about the same
height. The pilothouse is a lot lower than the Cat 30's Dodger.

Now go forward of the Pilothouse. "Pneuma's profile is lower than the
Cat 30 for about 10 to 12 feet.

Now go to Neal's Web and look at "Mustard's" coach profile. Pneumatic
windage is probably lower than Neal's raised Aft Cabin and he is two
foot shorter overall. Just compare the window size in both cabins.

About half his statements made about boat are without basic facts. They
are meant to create discussion, such as this. Don't believe anything he
posts. It mostly misleading to at times pure BS.

But; he is our Crapton regardless!

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsHomePage

Thom Stewart January 23rd 05 03:52 AM

Steve,

The "Gulf 29" is much more like the "Newport 30". That is the Hull it
is biult up from. There is some difference
in the stern

Neal, is you are reading this you go to picture #3 and tell me that sail
cover is to small?

Bart Senior January 23rd 05 12:09 PM

I've frozen too many times on boats.
On my coldest trip it hit 22 degrees and ice
was freezing on the deck. The little propane
heater on board was not working. We ran
the engine partly for the heat, mostly the get
the job done quickly.

What is the coldest you've seen Thom?

At temperatures below freezing I'd certainly
have a diesel cabin heater. And better yet a
heated pilothouse.

**********

Pelagic--triple roller head sails rigging, aluminum
hull.

Scroll down to the picture of the bow over the
Humpback.

http://www.pelagic.co.uk/charter/antarct.htm

**********
I've frozen too many times on boats.

On my coldest trip it hit 22 degrees and ice
was freezing on the deck. The little propane
heater on board was not working. We ran
the engine partly for the heat, mostly the get
the job done quickly.

What is the coldest you've seen Thom?

Bart

"Thom Stewart" wrote

Real sailors don't have to huddle inside the cabin around a homemade
heater at 50 degrees.

We high Latitude sailors sail for the pure pleasure of sailing.

Thom Stewart January 23rd 05 02:56 PM

Bart,

I have a Red Dot heater in the pilothouse and when its cold I run the
diesel at a fast idle for the Red Dot and the PH stays nice a warm. I
also have a "Heat Pal" which does a good job keeping the PH Cozy and I
can turn the top grill upside down and cook a stew are BBQ ribs. I've
found that running the engine for the Red Dot uses less fuel than the
Heat Pal. Both do a good job.

The coldest I've ever seen was a trip from Sag Harbor to Greenport on
Long Island Sound in a freezing rain. That was a lot of years ago and I
was a lot younger.

I've sailed a lot more in cold weather out here in the NW but have
managed to stay pretty comfortable. Winter Sailing can be fun; if you
set up for it.

Scott Vernon January 23rd 05 03:21 PM

"Thom Stewart" wrote
For light air I have a Hild 170% Drifter which is 331 sq ft, which I

can
fly free behind the rolled up jenny

Thom, how do you attach the tack?

Scotty

Thom Stewart January 23rd 05 03:21 PM

NW Weather Chk

Temp; @ 6:00 AM 47' F Cloudy

Sorry Northeastern's! Looks like a pretty tough Blizzard.

Ole Thom

Capt. Neal® January 23rd 05 05:21 PM

Give it up, old man! My sails are better than yours in every possible way.

For one thing, all my sails are real. I won't have that roll-up crap aboard.

My mainsail has the following dimensions:

P = 27 feet
E = 9" 6"
Area = 134 ft2
6.9 US oz Dacron white
4 standard battens
two reef points at 4' and 8' above boom with clamcleat at each reef
number 91 in black color on each side
Coronado insignia in black on both sides
luff 1/2 inch slug slides
foot- shelf foot with 3/8" bolt rope with 3/8" slug at clew
triple stitch, aluminum headboard, leach line with clam cleat, patches
at head, tack, clew, telltales, sailbags, tie lines in reefing points,
tack offset: A = 5-3/8", B=1", C=sliding, D=6", E = 1", F = 3/4"
Price= $515.95 USD

It's OK for you to be jealous.

As for your silly roll-up headsail, I got you beat because I have the following
hank-on, trouble free sails.

Storm jib (new)
75% jib (new)
100% jib (new)
110% jib (old, original)
130% jenny (new)
150% jenny (new)
170% jenny (old original)
Asymmetrical cruising spinnaker with sock (matching blue and yellow) (new)
150% drifter (blue and white stripes) (good condition, Bacon's)

Capt. Neal® January 23rd 05 05:26 PM

[...]

My, oh my but somebody has been eating his Wheaties today.

Wheaties or no, you need to get your glasses checked. There
is no way Cut the Mustard's streamlined cabin profile has
more windage than your squared off box sitting atop a hull
that looks like a mid-eighties vintage Hunter. Your boat looks
like a floating Nash Rambler with it's silly windshield.

Try to remember that real sailboats are operated from the
cockpit and not from inside a pilot house. That's for trawlers
and ships the likes of which Shen and otnmbrd claim to operate.

CN

Capt. Neal® January 23rd 05 05:28 PM

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message ...
Steve,

The "Gulf 29" is much more like the "Newport 30". That is the Hull it
is biult up from. There is some difference
in the stern

Neal, is you are reading this you go to picture #3 and tell me that sail
cover is to small?

Ole Thom

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsHomePage

http://community-2.webtv.net/tassail.../mailedD15.jpg

The sail cover is too small vertically. Look in the picture how it can't
even manage to cover the bottom of the boom forward.

CN

Capt. Neal® January 23rd 05 06:17 PM

Just wait until you eventually run aground with those silly little end plates
on the bottom of your keel. You won't even be able to heel the vessel to
lift the keep because the end plates will just dig in and the boat will be
even more stuck.

And, if you ever anchor when there is a good tidal current running that
shifts every six hours you will find the rode gets tangled on those silly
little end plates as the boat veers to wind and tide. Most likely the anchor
will get pulled lose.

It constantly amazes me how so-called cruising sailors on this group know
so little about cruising and all that's involved with it.

CN

Thom Stewart January 23rd 05 07:37 PM

Scott,

With the roller furler it leaves the tack hook empty on the bow. It is
in front of the furler but as soon as the sail fills with air it flies
clear. The same for the peak. I fly it from my spinnaker halyard, which
is forward of the furler. It clears itself with the wind.

Tacking is the problem; if I want to stay clear of the upper fitting on
the furler. I carry my lazy sheet forward of the furler so that when I
tack, everything clears to the other side. The clew usually needs to be
guided around.

Scott, in real light air, I often just run both sheet behind the furler
and let the peak and the tack wrap around the furler.

The fact of the matter is, this is the way I fly it most of the time.
Tacking is very simple this way and single handing I don't have to leave
the cockpit. I have to be on the proper tack to lower it.

When it is lowered I return the Halyard to a position over the spreader
to free it from the furler.

If you're thinking of doing it I'll send you some pictures. The Drifter
works great. It has really kept the Spinnaker in its Bag.

Thom Stewart January 23rd 05 07:47 PM

BB,

Your right, it is the Peconic Sound but you put a label on yourself for
making the point.

Thom Stewart January 23rd 05 08:00 PM

Neal,

You didn't follow directions. Picture #3 is the new main with the new
cover as it is today.

Picture #3. The picture of the boat in the water as of today.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsHomePage

Thom Stewart January 23rd 05 08:25 PM

Neal,

Jealous is not the proper word to be used concerning those Hong Kong
Sails. The word is PITY. I'm so sorry you wasted $500 on them.

Got to go now Crappy. FOOTBALL TIME
See you later!

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsHomePage

Capt. Neal® January 23rd 05 09:37 PM

One of these days, I'm gonna have to teach you about sailing and how to
put up a vessel after a sail. Your mainsail is a mess. I can tell from the
shape of it in the picture you finally posted on your site. Don't you know
how to flake a sail onto the boom in small folds? Haven't you ever
used a topping lift to set your boom so it rests with the aft end just
slightly higher than the forward end? And that sail cover is a wrinkled
mess as well. Shame on you.

Real sailors take pride in how their boats look even at anchor or at a
dock (heaven forbid!) Your boat looks like it has an owner who is
slovenly.

CN

Scott Vernon January 24th 05 08:54 AM

wrote

Your right, it is the Peconic Sound but you put a label on yourself

for
making the point.

And, yes, I'm a dickhead and asshole, as well. Thanks for pointing

it
out!

BBob

Scott Vernon January 24th 05 09:31 AM

I'd like to get a Drifter, but this year I'm getting a new genny ( I
hope).

My tack hook is right below the furler drum. Was wondering how good
those 'ATN Tacker' work.

Scotty

bell January 24th 05 03:39 PM

Scott Vernon wrote:
I'd like to get a Drifter, but this year I'm getting a
new genny ( I hope).

My tack hook is right below the furler drum. Was
wondering how good those 'ATN Tacker' work.

Scotty

With a drifter and a furler, you really don't want to use the hook. A
properly sized snapshackle is a much better choice. If you really need to
know how I know this, I will explain, but I'd rather not. Think of the
slackened halyard tension, super light winds, and slowly tacking the
drifter as it's weight slackens the luff.

John Cairns January 24th 05 08:05 PM

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
I'd like to get a Drifter, but this year I'm getting a new genny ( I
hope).

My tack hook is right below the furler drum. Was wondering how good
those 'ATN Tacker' work.

Scotty

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...83724087CHymmL

Works fairly well, but considering the cost ($75 IIRC) I couldn't help
thinking afterward that I might have been able to fabricate something along
the same lines that worked just as well for next to nothing.

John Cairns

Thom Stewart January 24th 05 09:10 PM

Scott & John,

First; Scotty, About the ATN Tacker. I carvered mine out off a used Tide
Plastic bottle with a line stitched to the outside with loops to take a
shackle. If you want one, send me a snail Addy and I'll ship you one.

Second; John, if you need a down haul a block to the Tack Hook, which
you're not using, and a line to the tack, thru the block and back to the
cockpit to a cleat.
Also, John, looking at the picture, you would be much better off running
your Spinnaker forward of all those lines, with your sheets outside
everything (Both working sheet and lazy sheet) Then Gybbing, you head up
a bit, let go the working sheet, pull the spinnaker thru to the wind
shadow of the Main. Set the new working sheet, Gybe the Main and away
you go on the new course

That is another joy off the Cruising Spinnaker. Easy Gybbing, no pole
and only sheets and down haul, to be set from the cockpit. No one at the
pointy end of the boat during a Gybe.

Thom Stewart January 24th 05 09:42 PM

John,

A good stitching job in the tack corner of your main.

Take note Neal! That's a corner of a main that has a bolt rope in the
foot of the SAIL.

Thanks for the picture,

Capt. Neal® January 24th 05 10:31 PM

My tack and clew are stronger looking that that! They are
triple stitched and have a series of patches so the sail in
that area is many layers thick. My sails will far outlast
yours even though I use them at least twice as much.

CN