BoatBanter.com

-   -   Victim...Service Pack2 (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/22757-victim-service-pack2.html)

Overproof September 14th 04 06:34 PM

Victim...Service Pack2

Changed everything.... including my connection, address..... the works.
I left the return addy ... that's what SP2 did for me.... without request!

Later all

CM

Jonathan Ganz September 14th 04 06:59 PM

In article ,
Overproof wrote:
Changed everything.... including my connection, address..... the works.
I left the return addy ... that's what SP2 did for me.... without request!

Later all

Bummer... had no problems installing it on 5 systems, except for one
situation that had a non-standard VPN configuration. This was resolved
by opening up the software firewall, opening the VPN connection, then
closing the firewall. A small hassle.

--
Jonathan Ganz (j gan z @ $ail no w.c=o=m)
http://www.sailnow.com

Overproof September 14th 04 07:06 PM

It was an hour to find and correct the data.

I wonder what Gates charges by the hour?

Nonetheless... a PIA

No Need for it.

Erased all my correspondence

Erased my address book.

Later

CM

Jonathan Ganz September 14th 04 07:22 PM

In article ,
Overproof wrote:
It was an hour to find and correct the data.

I wonder what Gates charges by the hour?

Nonetheless... a PIA

No Need for it.

Erased all my correspondence

Erased my address book.

Hmm... well, they do advise backing up your data before installing. I
believe there's an auto backup of your old system created when the sp
is installed. I didn't find any mention of problems on the ms website,
but that doesn't mean much sometimes. I would report the problem for
sure and/or try and get tech support to help via their website.

I've heard that BG makes so much that he could be walking along with a
hole in his pocket leaking $100 bills, and it would be more expensive
time-wise to stop and pick them up vs. continuing to talk.

felton September 14th 04 11:18 PM

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:34:16 -0300, "Overproof"
wrote:

Changed everything.... including my connection, address..... the works.
I left the return addy ... that's what SP2 did for me.... without request!

Later all

CM

I was warned by my service provider about SP2 a while back, and I
haven't installed it. My warning was specific to the XP operating
system, but the warning seemed to expand to include caveats regarding
firewall software, as well. I haven't done anything, yet. Sorry to
hear about your problems.

Jonathan Ganz September 14th 04 11:46 PM

In article ,
felton wrote:
I was warned by my service provider about SP2 a while back, and I
haven't installed it. My warning was specific to the XP operating
system, but the warning seemed to expand to include caveats regarding
firewall software, as well. I haven't done anything, yet. Sorry to
hear about your problems.

The only warning we got was that there were some changes in behavior
for SBC Yahoo DSL. They supplied a patch, but when I applied it, no
changes were made.

Overproof September 15th 04 12:01 AM

My only problems were email difficulties.

I'm not going to restore to a point prior.

I'll just deal with it as a forced purge of accumulated info.

Just thought I should make you aware of possible problems.

I detest the MS Security enhancements and believe I was more than adequately
covered with existing apps.

Don't bother with the SP2 unless you feel it a must.

It has done zip to increase my security status.

CM

Flying Tadpole September 15th 04 12:33 AM

Overproof wrote:

It was an hour to find and correct the data.

I wonder what Gates charges by the hour?

Nonetheless... a PIA

No Need for it.

Erased all my correspondence

Erased my address book.

and left behind an appalling fishy taste in puns, I see.

--
Flying Tadpole

Learn what lies below the waves of cyberspace!
http://music.download.com/internetopera
http://www.soundclick.com/flyingtadpole

Overproof September 15th 04 12:51 AM

No Taddy.... that was the See-Food Diet.

What do you expect from a predator?

CM