BoatBanter.com

-   -   We're Back! (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/20043-were-back.html)

Bobsprit June 25th 04 11:56 AM

We're Back!

Water on wood, great way to undo all that sanding and raise the grain, doesn't
anybody hear do any cabinet work?

Won't raise the grain if you follow with acetone.

RB

Pony Express June 25th 04 12:41 PM

We're Back!

Yes, some of us do cabinet work. Yes, I have
heard of a tack cloth, but stopped using them when
I figured out what I was doing. Many tack cloths
have oils and rosins that can actually affect the
bonding or the finish. Plain clean cheese cloth
works well.
And I do wipe down with water as part of the
finishing. But I sand again afterward. The idea
is to raise the grain, then sand it off. That way
it won't raise when I use alcohol dye stain.

"Martin Baxter" wrote in message
: DSK wrote:
:
: Bobsprit wrote:
:
: yep. The bleach water mix is to get the
sanding dust off and to
: brighten the
: wood a bit for better color.
:
:
: Funny, I have never used bleach on any of our
wood. If you want to get
: off the dust, using a shop vac with a brush
attachment works best.
:
: You guys ever heard of a 'Tack cloth'?
:
: Putting water onto wood that you are going to
try and put a finish on is
: not a good idea, especially in a humid
climate.
:
: Water on wood, great way to undo all that
sanding and raise the grain, doesn't anybody hear
do any cabinet work?
:
: Cheers
: Marty
:
:

Martin Baxter June 25th 04 01:13 PM

We're Back!

Pony Express wrote:

Yes, some of us do cabinet work. Yes, I have
heard of a tack cloth, but stopped using them when
I figured out what I was doing. Many tack cloths
have oils and rosins that can actually affect the
bonding or the finish. Plain clean cheese cloth
works well.
And I do wipe down with water as part of the
finishing. But I sand again afterward. The idea
is to raise the grain, then sand it off. That way
it won't raise when I use alcohol dye stain.

Ah ha! Someone who knows a bit about woodworking! Will use water and re-sand also if
applying a water base finish, Flecto Diamond water based polyurethane is surprisingly hard
and durable. I've got a couple of oars I built for my dink finished with stuff, been on for
three years and still look good, seen a lot of sun.

As for tack rag, make your own and it won't have anything but a trace of boiled linseed oil, should be
tacky, not wet, so close to dry that it won't leave any oils behind.

Cheers
Marty

Seahag June 25th 04 04:05 PM

We're Back!

"Martin Baxter" wrote:
DSK wrote:

Bobsprit wrote:

yep. The bleach water mix is to get the sanding dust off and to
brighten the
wood a bit for better color.

Funny, I have never used bleach on any of our wood. If you want to get
off the dust, using a shop vac with a brush attachment works best.

You guys ever heard of a 'Tack cloth'?

Putting water onto wood that you are going to try and put a finish on is
not a good idea, especially in a humid climate.

Water on wood, great way to undo all that sanding and raise the grain,

doesn't anybody hear do any cabinet work?

I only use water after the first coat of finish has dried.

Seahag