BoatBanter.com

-   -   Salt water in my engine (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/19861-salt-water-my-engine.html)

J Bard May 31st 04 02:29 AM

Salt water in my engine

Salt water in my engine.

1972 Pearson 30 , inboard universal atomic 4 gas engine. Went out in a high
steep sea with engine running , turned off engine, sailed in 3 foot chop ,
engine refused to start; sailed back in to harbor, anchored , pulled plugs,
found salt water on plug electrodes. Ran engine with plugs out , replaced
fouled plugs with new, engine worked.

History; blown gasket two years back (lots of salt water in engine) led to
new exhaust system; exhaust exits boat from transom about 3 inches above
water line. Raw(salt) water cooling. Exhaust gas exits manifold, rises one
foot, levels off, then descends one foot into round black device (which I
think is a muffler ( I write to prepare myself for meeting with the guy who
did the work 2 years ago)) as exhaust pipe descends it is met by smaller
line from the manifold which I assume is for water injection into the
exhaust gases.

Called guy who did the work ; he asked me about following seas, and
suggested a flap over the exit on the transom. Looking at the system today
it seems very unlikely that water could have found it's way from the transom
through 5 feet of hose ,up and through the muffler , and up another foot ,
especially with the engine running .

I sailed her a full year after his work, though not in anything quite so
pounding .could water have gone all this way ?

Navigator May 31st 04 06:53 AM

Salt water in my engine

Just a thought, did you have a siphon break in the exhaust? Hot engine
cools and draws water in...

Cheers

JAXAshby May 31st 04 11:58 AM

Salt water in my engine

Just a thought, did you have a siphon break in the exhaust? Hot engine
cools and draws water in...

A WHAT in the exhaust?

geesh dude, are you 14 years old?

Navigator May 31st 04 11:18 PM

Salt water in my engine

OzOne wrote:

On 31 May 2004 10:58:47 GMT, (JAXAshby) scribbled
thusly:

Just a thought, did you have a siphon break in the exhaust? Hot engine
cools and draws water in...

A WHAT in the exhaust?

geesh dude, are you 14 years old?

Bwaaahahahhahahahahahahahhahahaa!
Looks like your taking up floor painting again Jocks.

Syphon break..about AU$100 in most chandlers here in Oz.

I wonder if Doug knows anything about marine engine installation in
sailboats?

Cheers

JAXAshby June 1st 04 01:31 AM

Salt water in my engine

oxxy, you do NOT put an anti-siphon valve in a wet exhaust. A wet exhaust
ALWAYS has gases in it, so there is not need for such a valve. In addition,
the exhaust outlet is above the waterline, so even if there were no gases in
the exhaust there STILL would be no need for such a valve.

(JAXAshby) scribbled
thusly:

Just a thought, did you have a siphon break in the exhaust? Hot engine
cools and draws water in...

A WHAT in the exhaust?

geesh dude, are you 14 years old?

Bwaaahahahhahahahahahahahhahahaa!
Looks like your taking up floor painting again Jocks.

Syphon break..about AU$100 in most chandlers here in Oz.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

JAXAshby June 1st 04 03:40 AM

Salt water in my engine

Bwaaahahahhahahahahahahahahahhaaa!
Better stay on LIS Jocks!

Ah, yes, reality. reality does suck sometime, does't is oxxy?

On 01 Jun 2004 00:31:50 GMT, (JAXAshby) scribbled
thusly: