BoatBanter.com

-   -   Proper lookout in fog (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/19160-proper-lookout-fog.html)

Joe February 4th 04 06:17 PM

Proper lookout in fog

According to the Colreg's- Would this guy using this helmet be a
proper visual lookout in dence fog that you can not see more than 10
feet?

http://www.nfrmag.com/backissues/Mar...mages/Flir.gif

He has a flir helmet on, he is firefighter, but lets say your deckhand
borrowed his helmet.

He can see thru smoke, fog , darkness ect. Much better than the guy
donal put on the bow.

Here is what your deck hand would see if your boat can fly:
http://www.cae.com/en/newsroom/img/gallery/maxvue04.jpg

This helmet is better than a radar, but it is still a screen that
provide you visual information.

Should you follow the colregs and tell your deckhand to take off that
silly helmet and get to the bow and use your eyes and ears like the
book says.

Or would you let your lookout use the best equipment available? Like
radar.

Perhaps the colregs are outdated and need re-written, or perhaps they
are written to be interpeted by people that live by them.

Joe
MSV RedCloud

Joe
MSV RedCloud

otnmbrd February 4th 04 07:43 PM

Proper lookout in fog

Joe wrote:
According to the Colreg's- Would this guy using this helmet be a
proper visual lookout in dence fog that you can not see more than 10
feet?

http://www.nfrmag.com/backissues/Mar...mages/Flir.gif

He has a flir helmet on, he is firefighter, but lets say your deckhand
borrowed his helmet.

Hmmmmmm .... I wonder if I could con -- errrrr - talk someone into
getting me one of those to run "test" on

Joe February 5th 04 08:57 PM

Proper lookout in fog

otnmbrd wrote in message hlink.net...
Joe wrote:
According to the Colreg's- Would this guy using this helmet be a
proper visual lookout in dence fog that you can not see more than 10
feet?

http://www.nfrmag.com/backissues/Mar...mages/Flir.gif

He has a flir helmet on, he is firefighter, but lets say your deckhand
borrowed his helmet.

Hmmmmmm .... I wonder if I could con -- errrrr - talk someone into
getting me one of those to run "test" on

Depends on how good you are at Errrr..... talking.

Give it your best shot.

http://www.flir.com/

The commerical marine units run about 12K, The headmounted systems
must cost less. Perhaps you should start a local vollenteer marine
Fire Dept before you call.

Joe

Jeff Morris February 6th 04 12:06 AM

Proper lookout in fog

The Boston Police and the MA State Police have a few of these boats with FLIR
cameras. The "justification" is to be able to see people in the water. They're
awesome boats - I get to check them out because they tie up next to mine when
they take on fuel. It can be nerve-racking trying to park my 36 footer in a 40
foot spot on the face dock with the head of the local SWAT team on my bow, an
interceptor on the stern, and a dozen cops hanging around.

http://www.interceptboats.com/Pages/nightcat.html

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
otnmbrd wrote in message

hlink.net...

DSK February 6th 04 01:19 PM

Proper lookout in fog

Jeff Morris wrote:
... It can be nerve-racking trying to park my 36 footer in a 40
foot spot on the face dock with the head of the local SWAT team on my bow, an
interceptor on the stern, and a dozen cops hanging around.

Why? Making a bad docking isn't a crime!

DSK

Bobsprit February 6th 04 02:07 PM

Proper lookout in fog

Why? Making a bad docking isn't a crime!

Spoken by an obvious criminal.

RB

Capt.American February 6th 04 08:14 PM

Proper lookout in fog

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message news:

It can be nerve-racking trying to park my 36 footer in a 40
foot spot on the face dock with the head of the local SWAT team on my bow, an
interceptor on the stern, and a dozen cops hanging around.

Try snuffing out your joint before you get to the dock next time.

Capt. American

Jeff Morris February 6th 04 10:22 PM

Proper lookout in fog

Where do you think I got it?

Besides, smokin pot on the fuel dock is frowned on at any marina.