Simple Simon

Default COLREGS - The final word on pecking order in restricted visibility.

I hope you all notice how Rick can only resort to ad hominem attacks.

I suppose name-calling is, indeed, the last bastion of those too ignorant
to discuss the issues, in this case - the Rules, on their own merits.

S.Simon

"Rick" wrote in message ink.net...

You got it correct except for the bit about the knowledge base ... Nil
has only a shaky and homemade knowledge base. He has no formal training
and absolutely no professional experience to expose him to any
operational technique. All he has is a toy MOTOR license yet he claims
to hate all motorboat operators ... he claims to be the master of sail
yet has NO sail endorsement ... couldn't pass the test? Doesn't have the
sailing time?

All he has are the bad habits he developed while pretending to be
"master" of his trailerboat and a peculiar view of vessel operations
based on watching other yachties. He has absolutely no idea of how any
vessel other than his and the trailerboats that pass his moorage operate.

Nil is a textbook example of why maritime academies exist and are more
and more critical to training in the maritime industry.

He is the poster child of the wannabe mariner.

Rick

Pockets of Resistance

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:03:56 -0400, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

I hope you all notice how Rick can only resort to ad hominem attacks.

I have a set of rules I call the SteveRegs.

1. If you are a sailboarder with more balls than brains, I'm not
moving for you because the lead in my keel weighs more than your car.

2. If you are a tug pushing four barges up or down the river, I'm
going to get out of your way because . . . well because you'd be a
moron not to.

3. If you are a powerboat, sod off.

4. If you are another sailboat, we'll look at each other for awhile,
try to figure out is we're going to hit each other or not (CBDR is
your friend), and make the appropriate adjustments. Then (or perhaps
during) we will check out any babealishous babes on the foredeck.

I'd say that about covers it.
Rick

Simple Simon wrote:

I hope you all notice how Rick can only resort to ad hominem attacks.

I suppose name-calling is, indeed, the last bastion of those too ignorant
to discuss the issues, in this case - the Rules, on their own merits.

I only consider the source of the troll.

Arguing COLREGS with Nil is pointless. Pointing out the reasons why Nil
is unsuited to make any reasonable argument or to intelligently discuss
vessel operations is not an ad hominem attack. It is an observation of
the futility of discussing such issues with the ignorant and uninformed
wannabe class of trailerboater that he represents.

The merits are beyond your understanding.

In case what I wrote was as difficult for you as the COLREGS, read it again:

[...]

That is not an ad hominem attack, it is a professional observation of
the attitude and management skills of an amateur recreational sailor
pretending to understand the nuances of safe vessel operation.

Rick

Simple Simon

I agree with the power boats sodding off part.

Unfortunately, as demonstrated by the power boat
operators who have invaded this sailing newsgroup,
they hold sailboats in contempt and loathe the fact
that sailboats have stand-on status in most situations
and they have to give-way. They can't abide being
shown their inferior status. Their big fat egos just
can't take the beating.

S.Simon

wrote:

I hope you all notice how Rick can only resort to ad hominem attacks.

I have a set of rules I call the SteveRegs.

1. If you are a sailboarder with more balls than brains, I'm not
moving for you because the lead in my keel weighs more than your car.

2. If you are a tug pushing four barges up or down the river, I'm
going to get out of your way because . . . well because you'd be a
moron not to.

3. If you are a powerboat, sod off.

4. If you are another sailboat, we'll look at each other for awhile,
try to figure out is we're going to hit each other or not (CBDR is
your friend), and make the appropriate adjustments. Then (or perhaps
during) we will check out any babealishous babes on the foredeck.

I'd say that about covers it.

Pockets of Resistance

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:27:27 -0400, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

I agree with the power boats sodding off part.

Unfortunately, as demonstrated by the power boat
operators who have invaded this sailing newsgroup,
they hold sailboats in contempt and loathe the fact
that sailboats have stand-on status in most situations
and they have to give-way. They can't abide being
shown their inferior status. Their big fat egos just
can't take the beating.

And here I don't care about their feeeeeelllllings, I just want them
out of the way.
Rick

Simple Simon wrote:

I agree with the power boats sodding off part.

Unfortunately, as demonstrated by the power boat
operators who have invaded this sailing newsgroup,
they hold sailboats in contempt and loathe the fact
that sailboats have stand-on status in most situations
and they have to give-way. They can't abide being
shown their inferior status. Their big fat egos just
can't take the beating.

That IS funny ... Nil, is chief among the very few in this thread to
claim superiority of one mode of propulsion. All the while stating that
the ONLY mode in which he is licensed is the one he claims is inferior.

Only the amateurs of either mode claim superiority. The rest of us just
don't play such sophomoric games. The skills required and the
application of those skills to safe vessel operation are the same. But
that is something which a rank amateur could not possibly understand.
That lack of understanding and experience is the foundation of Nil's
idiocy.

Self hatred? Inferiority complex of some sort? Either way his statements
are not those which define a stable and reliable shipmate or the sort of
individual who can be entrusted with the operation of a vessel in close
quarters.

The question that should be asked here is: How well could you sleep
below knowing that Nil was at the wheel of your boat one foggy dark
night in a busy sound or bay?

Nil, the one-tripper, an internet wannabe ... your ignorance is showing
brightly.

Rick

Shen44

Subject: COLREGS - The final word on pecking order in restricted
visibility.
From: "Simple Simon"

It's simple. Information is not scanty when

1) I hear the fog signal of a vessel forward over a period of time and
it's bearing is not changing and the signal is getting louder.

This is scanty information. In truth, the bearing may be opening left or right
or may be steady... by sound alone there is no way to be absolutely sure.

2) I must follow the Rules that states if there is any doubt that a vessel
is on a collision course then assume it is indeed on a collision course.

In which case, follow rule 19 (e)

3) I know Rule 8 states a course change early and pronounced is perhaps
the best way to avoid a close quarters situation so I follow Rule 8 and
change my course early and evidently so as to avoid a close quarters
situation.

Based on scanty information, and not knowing whether your course change will
result in safe passing.

Shen

Simple Simon

"Rick" wrote in message ink.net...

Nil, the one-tripper, an internet wannabe ... your ignorance is showing
brightly.

And, superior to someone enamored with name-calling. Bwaaaaaaaaahhhahahahhhahah!

S.Simon

COLREGS - The final word on pecking order in restricted visibility. Simple Simon General 84 October 19th 03 05:41 AM
Perception Joe ASA 60 October 17th 03 12:42 PM
Ellen MacArthur, Tthe Reluctant Heroine Gerard Weatherby ASA 97 August 8th 03 01:03 AM
A tough question for Jeff and Shen44 otnmbrd ASA 53 July 30th 03 06:14 PM