BoatBanter.com

-   -   Sail Covers (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/16616-sail-covers.html)

Donal July 29th 03 03:31 PM

Sail Covers

From now on I'm going to keep my sail cover on whenever I'm sailing.

After all, if I take the cover off, the sun might rip it in half in less
than 5 minutes!

Now we know why Bob posts so many pictures with his boat under engine.

Regards

Donal

Jonathan Ganz July 29th 03 05:38 PM

Sail Covers

Sorry to let you know, but sail covers don't really protect sails.
The best way to keep the sail in good shape is to stow it below
decks. Actually, the best way is to remove it from the boat and
have it lying flat in a cool, dry spot with plenty of air circulating.
DO NOT put the sail on the boat!

From now on I'm going to keep my sail cover on whenever I'm sailing.

CANDChelp July 29th 03 05:40 PM

Sail Covers

Sorry to let you know, but sail covers don't really protect sails.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA!!!

RB

Jonathan Ganz July 29th 03 10:46 PM

Sail Covers

They really don't. I've read several articles that talk about
UV degradation underneath sail covers (mostly in the Carib).

The_navigator© July 29th 03 11:05 PM

Sail Covers

NZ has stronger UV than anyplace in the carib. From my experience, sail
covers do work.

Cheers MC

SAIL LOCO July 30th 03 02:08 AM

Sail Covers

NZ has stronger UV than anyplace in the carib.

Gee, that's interesting. Not one sailmaker or cloth manufacture mentions NZ
when they are boasting about their fabric's UV resistance. They all mention
the Carib.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Jonathan Ganz July 30th 03 07:59 AM

Sail Covers

Isn't it near American Samoa?

"The Cappys Master" Cappy kneels wrote in message
On 30 Jul 2003 01:08:10 GMT, (SAIL LOCO) wrote:

NZ has stronger UV than anyplace in the carib.

Gee, that's interesting. Not one sailmaker or cloth manufacture mentions

NZ
when they are boasting about their fabric's UV resistance. They all

mention
the Carib.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

American sailmakers?

They don't know where NZ is!!

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Peter Wiley July 30th 03 08:00 AM

Sail Covers

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:17:28 +1000, The Cappys Master Cappy kneels
wrote:

On 30 Jul 2003 01:08:10 GMT, (SAIL LOCO) wrote:

NZ has stronger UV than anyplace in the carib.

Gee, that's interesting. Not one sailmaker or cloth manufacture mentions NZ
when they are boasting about their fabric's UV resistance. They all mention
the Carib.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

American sailmakers?

They don't know where NZ is!!

Well, the sailmakers might, but 99% of their customers wouldn't, so
the ad would be wasted. OTOH the Carib is almost close enough to be
local.

BTW - hole in the ozone layer? In the *southern* hemisphere? Allowing
more UV to reach the surface? Bells ringing??????? MC's right.

PDW

CANDChelp July 30th 03 11:50 AM

Sail Covers

Cool!!! I was hoping someone would start a thread on maximum UV exposure areas!

Welcome to Rock Bottom, folks. And Loco led you there.

RB