BoatBanter.com

-   -   New desal process (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/16285-new-desal-process.html)

Simple Simon July 10th 03 12:12 AM

New desal process

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=3064001

Sounds like a mini-unit would work great for yachts.

Scout July 10th 03 12:30 AM

New desal process

I didn't see how they intend to condense the water vapor from the moisture
laden air. I suppose they will use refrigeration systems, whereas a ship at
sea may just cool to ambient air temps, or use sea water as a coolant (seems
more likely).
Scout

Simple Simon July 10th 03 03:10 PM

New desal process

The article did not say but I would guess the thing runs
on diesel fuel because that's about the only fuel widely
available even in third world countries. Ambient
temps would serve to condense out the desalinated
and distilled water after it was turned to vapor and
shed it's burden of salt by the heat of the burning diesel
fuel. Getting rid of the heat would seem to be the biggest
problem for yacht application.