Jeff Morris

Default Foul Weather Sailing

Feel free to post anytime - and don't feel bad if the thread turns bizarre, its not your
fault. Just remember the basic rules: don't claim you know more than the regulars here,
and never ever admit to calling SeaTow.

-jeff www.sv-loki.com
"The sea was angry that day, my friend. Like an old man trying to send back soup at the
deli."

"Greg Bossert" wrote in message
Just wanted to thank everyone for the information. I was aprehensive about
posting at first because I have seen so many threads turn into flaming wars.
So thanks everyone for the candid responses!

Greg Bossert

Capt. Mooron

You should have them on at all times while underway anyway.....

CM

"Njord" wrote in message
| No one mentioned it yet, but I think it would be a good idea to don life
| jackets. Hopefully, you won't need them, but it is better to put them on
and
| not need them then to not put them on an wish you had. If you have the
room,
| you might also consider coming off the wind on a beam or broad reach to
| reduce the apparent wind.
|
| --
|
| Njord
|
| I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
| Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
| And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
| And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.
|
| From Sea-Fever by John Masefield

Bobsprit

Tris are superior to cats in every way.

Weight?

RB
Scout

Is it necessary, or wise, to provide a pathway for lightning, from the mast
to the water? If so, how would you fabricate and connect it?
Scout

"Simple Simon" wrote
Lightning is no more likely to strike you well offshore

Capt. Mooron

I heard of chains on the shrouds and stays.... really... what's next... a
telescopic mast?

CM

"Scout" wrote in message
| Is it necessary, or wise, to provide a pathway for lightning, from the
mast
| to the water? If so, how would you fabricate and connect it?
| Scout
|
| "Simple Simon" wrote
| Lightning is no more likely to strike you well offshore

Jeff Morris

Superior in every way? Are you daft?

Tris have a few advantages over cats: they tack better, they're usually faster in light
air, there are some very neat folding designs. But overall, they don't make it as a
cruising boat. Perhaps you've noticed that tens of thousands of cruising cats have been
built, but there are virtually no cruising tris.

A few reasons: they bounce back and forth on the amas, they have limited visibility,
they're hard to get into, they have limited cabin space, the cockpit is usually very
small. When they are overloaded they become dangerous. These are not drawbacks for a
racing boat, but they certainly don't help a cruiser.

On top of this, tris are much easier to capsize than cats; in fact the vast majority of
multihull capsizes are tris.

Once again you've demonstrated a complete lack of understanding on the topic. At least
you're consistent.

-jeff

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

Tris are superior to cats in every way.

"Oz1" wrote in message

But a tri is OK!

Scout

CM,
I suppose with a million volts and more, it probably doesn't matter that the
chain links may have very little contact area with each other. Hell, I could
easily attach my anchor chain to a stay, and leave the anchor drag as
conductive plate in the water. Never thought of that.
I was wondering though, if cables wouldn't be a better conductor. I'm also
wondering: given the right system, wouldn't a sailboat (or at least the
passengers) be safer than those on a motorboat with no system to divert a
strike?
I saw a man get hit and killed by lightning while he was loading a
motorcycle into the back of his pickup truck. Truthfully, the image stays
with a person. His eyes looked like a couple of fried eggs. I get more
than a bit nervous thinking about sailing around with a virtual sign that
says, "Hey lightning, over here! pick me!"
Scout

"Capt. Mooron" wrote
I heard of chains on the shrouds and stays.... really... what's next...

telescopic mast?

CM

Jonathan Ganz

Not in every way.

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

Tris are superior to cats in every way.

"Oz1" wrote in message

But a tri is OK!

Scott Vernon

I hung a sign on my mast that says, ''Christian''. It's worked so far.

Scotty

"Scout" ...