BoatBanter.com

-   -   Tracing a pattern? (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/101367-tracing-pattern.html)

Uncle Bob January 7th 09 05:38 PM

Tracing a pattern?

I'm putting in a bulkhead in a gutted power boat. I'm looking for info
on how to trace the curved surface of the hull vertically with the
chines etc so I get a close fit with the bulkhead material. If anyone
know any tips tricks or tutorials please let me know. Thanks

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] January 7th 09 06:36 PM

Tracing a pattern?

"Uncle Bob" wrote in message
I'm putting in a bulkhead in a gutted power boat. I'm looking for info
on how to trace the curved surface of the hull vertically with the
chines etc so I get a close fit with the bulkhead material. If anyone
know any tips tricks or tutorials please let me know. Thanks

Use cardboard. Make yourself a very large compass (not the direction finding
kind but the kind that has a needle point on one side and a pencil on the
other)

Set up the cardboard far enough away from the sides of the boat you wish to
trace and use the compass to scribe a line on the cardboard by following the
sides of the hull chines and all.

Wilbur Hubbard

Bob January 8th 09 05:07 AM

Tracing a pattern?

On Jan 7, 10:36*am, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Uncle Bob" wrote in message

I'm putting in a bulkhead in a gutted power boat. I'm looking for info
on how to trace the curved surface of the hull vertically with the
chines etc so I get a close fit with the bulkhead material. If anyone
know any tips tricks or tutorials please let me know. Thanks

Use cardboard. Make yourself a very large compass (not the direction finding
kind but the kind that has a needle point on one side and a pencil on the
other)

Set up the cardboard far enough away from the sides of the boat you wish to
trace and use the compass to scribe a line on the cardboard by following the
sides of the hull chines and all.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur, This process is called "spilling" or at least it is on the
west coast boat yards.
Bob

Uncle Bob January 8th 09 01:14 PM

Tracing a pattern?

wrote:

"Uncle Bob" wrote in message

I'm putting in a bulkhead in a gutted power boat. I'm looking for info
on how to trace the curved surface of the hull vertically with the
chines etc so I get a close fit with the bulkhead material. If anyone
know any tips tricks or tutorials please let me know. Thanks

Use cardboard. Make yourself a very large compass (not the direction finding
kind but the kind that has a needle point on one side and a pencil on the
other)

Set up the cardboard far enough away from the sides of the boat you wish to
trace and use the compass to scribe a line on the cardboard by following the
sides of the hull chines and all.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur, This process is called "spilling" or at least it is on the
west coast boat yards.
Bob

I did a Google search for this and could not find anything about it.

Edgar January 8th 09 01:24 PM

Tracing a pattern?

wrote:

"Uncle Bob" wrote in message

[...]

That is because the spelling is wrong. Try 'spiling'. Only one 'l'

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] January 8th 09 05:34 PM

Tracing a pattern?

wrote:
"Uncle Bob" wrote in message

I'm putting in a bulkhead in a gutted power boat. I'm looking for info
on how to trace the curved surface of the hull vertically with the
chines etc so I get a close fit with the bulkhead material. If anyone
know any tips tricks or tutorials please let me know. Thanks

Use cardboard. Make yourself a very large compass (not the direction
finding
kind but the kind that has a needle point on one side and a pencil on the
other)

Set up the cardboard far enough away from the sides of the boat you wish
trace and use the compass to scribe a line on the cardboard by following
the
sides of the hull chines and all.

Wilbur Hubbard

| Wilbur, This process is called "spilling" or at least it is on the
| west coast boat yards.
| Bob

I added a partial (about half the beam) bulkhead to my fine bluewater
cruiser and that is the way I figured out how to fit it to the shape of the
interior where I put the bulkhead. The finish carpenters used this method
but on a smaller scale with store-bought compasses to fit teak trim in the
Irwin's when I worked there. I just scaled their method up. It worked great.
My custom bulkhead fits like it came from the factory that way. Never heard
the term "spilling."

Wilbur Hubbard