BoatBanter.com

-   -   Seamanship question (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/100543-seamanship-question.html)

Charles Momsen December 3rd 08 10:29 PM

Seamanship question

What 4 word term is used to describe the method used to determine if a
vessel is on collision course with yours?

Hint: Outfielders use this method to catch fly balls.

Charles Momsen December 4th 08 01:06 AM

Seamanship question

"Dave" wrote in message
On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 15:29:13 -0700, "Charles Momsen"

said:

What 4 word term is used to describe the method used to determine if a
vessel is on collision course with yours?

Steady bearing decreasing range.

That's about as basic as you can get.

Correct, though I was thinking of CBDR. Constant bearing decreasing range.

Marty[_2_] December 4th 08 05:03 AM

Seamanship question

said:

What 4 word term is used to describe the method used to determine if a
vessel is on collision course with yours?

Steady bearing decreasing range.

That's about as basic as you can get.

Correct, though I was thinking of CBDR. Constant bearing decreasing range.

I kind of like "Constant Bearing, Closing Range", a bit more alliterative.

Cheers
Martin

Marty[_2_] December 4th 08 05:04 AM

Seamanship question

Charles Momsen wrote:
What 4 word term is used to describe the method used to determine if a
vessel is on collision course with yours?

Hint: Outfielders use this method to catch fly balls.

I've never seen an Outfielder using a hand bearing compass while running
down a fly....

Cheers
Martin

Charles Momsen December 4th 08 06:02 PM

Seamanship question

"Marty" wrote in message
Charles Momsen wrote:
What 4 word term is used to describe the method used to determine if a
vessel is on collision course with yours?

Hint: Outfielders use this method to catch fly balls.

I've never seen an Outfielder using a hand bearing compass while running
down a fly....

Cheers
Martin

Hold the glove up, site the ball relative to the glove. Move position so the
ball stays in same relative location to glove. The ball keeps a constant
bearing relative to the eye-glove and has decreasing range.