Tony Kenny

Default Electric Outboard

Morning all,

I'm getting on good with this new hobby but we find that our old
mercury 20 is damn noisy! We can spend 4-5 hours on the lake with a
single tank of fuel so we're happy with that aspect.

I've been looking at electric motors and note that to equal a 20hp
petrol I will need some 400lbs of electric thrust. I think 6hp
(120lbs) will do for our leisure time on the lake as there is a speed
limit anyway. However, I am concerned about how long we will get out
of a battery.

Does anybody have experience of these things and how long a decent
leisure battery will last with constant use?

Is there anything else I could use? e.g. would an electric wheelchair
motor give enough torque? How much torque would I need?
I've considered looking around for a scrap seagul motor or similar and
experimenting with different motors from the scrap yard.

thanks in advance

Tony Kenny