Steve

Default Goliath 1, David zip, and shame on Carver Boat Co. :-(

Family names are exempt for trade mark or name infringments. You don't even
have to do a public notice of your intent to use you family name as your
business name.

However, don't try to get 'tricky' line that kid that registered a interenet
domain as MicRowSoft.com (not sure of the spelling).. Seem his first name
was Mike and last name was Rowe (or something like that).. Anyway he lost in
court but MicroSoft gave him some other concesions, out of the goodness of
their hearts..

I have registered my business name in both Calif and WA and each time it
involved publishing a notice of intent to use that name. The state licensing
offices also verify if it has already been registered at the state level..

However, such an action only protects me from another business using the
name in those states.. If a business from outside these two states has
TradeMarked or registered this name with the feds. then I'm scewed if they
move into Calif. or WA... Even if I had state register it before them..

I've never been challenged and wouldn't have any 'good' reason to fight it
if it came to that. I only maintain my business lic. for wholesale and
business discount advantages.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions