BORDEN1000

Default 15 HP Johnson overheat Q

Greetings:

I will check the impeller. If the impeller is OK, how do I continue to

track
the problem???

With the water pump & leg removed you should be able to push a piece of
wire
up the pipe to make sure none of the rubber grommet has gone up there last
time
the leg was put on.

Where is the thermostat?

In the water cover (bolted to the head) it's in the centre at the bottom, but
you can take the water cover off easily & clean any salt buildups etc out.

What else can stop working to overhead the motor besides the impeller,
thermostat and plumbing lines?

As another suggested the head gasket?? is there any water getting into
the
cyls?? turn it over with the plugs out & make sure it remains totally dry.

Thanks

BL

Greetings:

Pulled the leg and the impeller is shot...byw, my local merc dealer sold me a
merc impeller...said it was a sraight replacement for the Johnson. Hmmm

I pulled the head and the cyl walls seem smooth to the touch. Each cylinder
has one very slight groove. A friend is supplying a cylinder caliper to
measure the dia of the cylinders...then I will spec / replace the rings and
give her a go.

Thanks for all the help
BL