posted to rec.boats.building
JustWait JustWait is offline

Default Gunwale wood

In article , says...

wrote:
I am repairing a fiberglass dinghy which has wooden gunwales. The
gunwale wood is rotten and cracked. The inwale and outwale are about
1/2" by 1 1/4" in section, about 11 - 12 feet in length. Where do I
get a replacement hardwood in this size and do I need to steam bend,
or can I just stress bend it using existing bolt holes? What material
is the best for the least?

Sirius,
You do not give any specifics about the minimum bend radius.

Without knowing or seeing this, I still would suggest that you start
looking for white oak. You will have to find a real sawyer to get the
piece you need, and without any idea where you are, no reader can offer
a suggestion.

As to, if you will have to steam bend, wet bend or just spring it into
place, nobody can give you a good answer without knowing a whole lot
more than what you have posted so far.

As one reader suggested, these could be laminated to the gunwale shape,
but do not even consider this effort unless you have access to at least
2 dozen C-clamps. This is also a tough road unless you have access to a
thickness planer to prepare the laminate (and two good friends and lots
of beer).

Just my opinions as a third generation boat and spar builder.

Matt Colie

White Oak is very heavy, and turns black when it gets wet...