posted to rec.boats.building
mcamirand mcamirand is offline

Default wood for mast - eastern Canada

On Feb 26, 6:48*pm, Two meter troll wrote:
On Feb 26, 2:53 pm, max camirand wrote:

Hi group,

I'm wondering what wood to use for an unstayed mast (junk rig). I have
the book Practical Junk Rig here. The authors (British) recommend
Scots Pine as the best, but a Canadian government publication tells me
that Canadian Scots Pine is a much lower-quality wood than that grown
in Europe, on account of inferior seeds having been used to introduce
them here. They also recommend larch, of which we have plenty.

I have access to several woodlots with appropriately-sized trees, so
I'd appreciate a recommendation on what wood to use. I'd like to get
it cut before the sap starts to flow back into the trees this spring.

Alternatively, I know of a telephone pole factory that could sell me
my sticks, but I'm not sure how well I could control what species I'd
get in that case.

Regards,
-Maxime

first: are they to be hollow or solid?

second: how big a boat are you putting them on?

third: how tall are the planned masts?

+++++

Hollow or solid? Solid. I will shape the poles I cut.

What size boat? 37 ft.

How tall? Two masts, both keel-stepped (obviously). One around 35ft
long, one around 30ft, maybe a little less. I haven't decided on the
exact dimensions yet. Since it's not the designed rig for the boat, I
have to draw it myself. I'm going on rough dimensions now. I figure
it's best to cut the masts and start seasoning them now, since it
takes a heck of a long time.

Regards,
-Maxime