posted to rec.boats.building
Peggie Hall Peggie Hall is offline

Default Bronze maintenance

Daniele Fua wrote:

The item will be under deck, no UV but with salty water running inside
and occasionally seeping out.

That shouldn't happen! If it does, the toilet is in need of maintenance
or repair!

I wonder if I could epoxy coat also the inner parts like the cylinder of
the pump.

No no no! Coating it with anything will change the inner diameter,
causing seals, o-rings etc not to fit properly. Don't use anything to
clean the inside of the cylinder that can scratch the metal.

If the inside of the pump cylinder is crusty with sea water minerals,
remove all the parts and soak the cylinder in distilled white vinegar
overnight.

Once it's clean, the only thing the pump cylinder needs is lubrication
to protect the rubber o-rings, seals etc from wear. While you have it
apart, just before closing it up, squirt about 3 ml. of thick teflon
grease into the cylinder...pump a few times to spread it all over the
inside of the cylinder...that's it. Every few weeks, put a tablespoon or
two (any more than that will just wash out) of mineral oil into the bowl
and flush it to keep it lubricated.

To prevent future sea water mineral buildup in the lines and pump, flush
a cupful of distilled white vinegar once a week, especially right before
the boat will sit.

And finally, contact a Blakes distributor for an owners manual and
advice about any parts needed now. Take their advice and then
scrupulously follow installation, operation and maintenance instructions
in the manual. If you do that, this toilet will provide decades of
reliable trouble-free service.

Or...I'll be glad to restore it for you if you'd like to send the toilet
to me along with YOUR banking coordinates to cover the cost! LOL

--
Peggie