Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Haversine Calculator

On 2008-10-06 06:37:49 -0400, "Roger Long" said:

"Wayne.B" wrote

Yes but there were, and still are, some risks:

I had dinner last night with the research vessel captain & mate who
have about 50 years experience in the waters of Chesapeake Bay and
offshore around the capes. I told them what S&L are up to and they said
"They've got more courage than we do. I hope they don't make a habit of
it."

I'm reminded of the saying that airplane pilots have:

"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old
bold pilots."

The much discussed corollary to that is that taking weather risks and
getting away with it tends to affect future judgement. They pulled this
off but I too hope they don't make a habit of it. If someone with years
of experience had done it, I would be thinking, "Good weather call."
but it looks different for a second offshore passage.

As one who counseled them that Hattaras could blow up unpredictably in
any given hour, particularly this time of year, I have to say it seems
they're taking appropriate actions and precautions, are using every
available input.

They're staying enough clear that they could heave to for many hours,
seem to think it might be a nice change. They motor-sailed for 50+
hours to take advantage of the existing conditions vs what was
predicted to be on the horizon. They're now obviously heading towards
Charleston to ride out expected nastiness -- and probably to take on a
bit more fuel.

--
Jere Lull