posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop Maxprop is offline

Default Re-core ? ? ?

OzOne wrote in message news
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 23:37:50 GMT, "Maxprop"
scribbled thusly:

OzOne wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 13:17:45 GMT, "Maxprop"
scribbled thusly:

Hunters, Catalinas, Beneteaus, Jeanneaus, shall I continue? None of
them
are built for conditions similar to the 'average' Hobart.

Actually, 'average' Hobart is just a coastal jaunt....I'm going this
year....Sometimes it's as tough as they get.

But one never knows until the race, does one. Good luck--I envy you that.

Bennies and Jennies do the race every year and survive even the bad
ones.

That is surprising. I suppose such boats could quietly drop out if the
forecast failed to bode well.

If I had the resources, I'd love to buy Sayonara and do the Hobart.
Perhaps
I could steal her--I doubt if Ellison has given her a thought in over five
years.

Max

7 or 8 bennies in last year, all raced to the finish IIRC.
You have a false impression of the structural integrity from these
manufacturers.
They are actually very strong yachts, what lets them down at sea is
things like cupboard latches which just aren't tough enough for a
pounding.
Easily fixed if you want to cruise or even race.

Actually I'm aware of the construction of Beneteaus, if not Jeanneaus.
Bendys have their bulkheads bonded (fiberglassed) solidly to the hull and
deck, something even some "top notch" manufacturers fail to do. What
bothers me is the mass-produced nature of such boats. Chantiers Beneteau is
the largest boat manufacturer in the world, and they turn out yachts by the
thousands. Such production schedules could conceivably make them one of the
best builders, but could also conceivably lead to corners that are cut and
mistakes made. (See Detroit and mass automobile production) When examining
new Bendys and Jeanneaus at recent boat shows, I've noted hard spots where
the bulkheads are bonded to the hulls, making the locations of the bulkheads
visible while looking at the hull from outside. That could also conceivably
indicate thin lay-up schedules in the hull laminates. I'm skeptical, but
willing to be proven wrong on my opinions of those mass-produced French
boats.

Max