Larry Larry is offline

Default Four questions from someone new to boating

"Two meter troll" wrote in
ups.com:

are sail boats really that much more work than an old
30'-50' salmon troller or a 100' king crabber?

I'd like to answer that they don't HAVE to be....but most sailors will
not tolerate a sailboat that LOOKS like a salmon troller or crabber,
either. They don't HAVE to constantly sand and varnish and primp and
clean a perfectly clean boat, but they do. I believe the term is
obsessive-compulsive. I don't think they love doing this all the time,
but they do it anyway, probably from peer pressure.

Luckily, Cap'n likes it to look nice and spends a considerable amount to
make it look nice, but isn't so compulsive he stays up washing the deck
all night when we come in at midnight. Others I've sailed with are just
terrified someone is going to spill bourbon on a teak deck...to the point
where it's just too much to bear. I guess that's why Lionheart is
usually the center of the party, not the fringe. Booze and wine clean
off quite easily...(c;....after one has sobered up so one can SEE the
deck while STANDING, not laying on it....(c;

Larry
--
Message for Comcrap Internet Customers:
http://tinyurl.com/3ayl9c