posted to rec.boats.building
RW Salnick RW Salnick is offline

Default 130 gal. water tank problem

Joe Bleau inscribed in red ink for all to know:
My 1977 Morgan OI has an approximately 130 gal. aluminum tank built
behind a bulkhead on the port side passageway from the main saloon to
the aft cabin.

When I could not get pressure I assumed the tank had a leak and tore
out the bulkhead exposing the outside of the tank (the other side of
the tank is curved and is seated in sprayed foam against the hull).
Outwardly the tank appears like new but I realize that it could be
completely rotted within.

Problem is I find no dampness anywhere around the tank and am now
beginning to suspect that the tank is sound.

Does anyone in this group know of a way of testing the tank, i.e.,
using compressed air to pressurize the tank and leaving a gauge on it
for 24 hours or so to determine if there really is a leak.

Any ideas on testing this tank without removing it would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

What does "I could not get pressure" mean? Making the assumption that
this means that you could not pressurize your faucets, I assume that you
checked out your fresh water pressure pump and found it to be in good
condition. And that you checked out the line from the tank to the pump
and ascertained that it was not leaking air into the pump. And that
there is no leak downstream of the pump which is simply dumping water
into the bilge as fast as you can put it into the system with the pump.

Right?

Pressurizing with compressed air would be very dangerous. With as
little as 10 psi, it could explode. Another poster suggested only
pressurizing enough to inflate a balloon - this would be safe, but it
might be too sensitive - you will have made a barometer!

Can you just fill up the tank to the top, and then check it a few days
later (without using any water!) and see if the level has changed?

bob
s/v Eolian
Seattle