posted to rec.boats.electronics
OldSailor OldSailor is offline

Default Radio noise

"Bruce in Alaska" wrote

1. Buy a different fan that doesn't make noise in the MF Radio Spectrum.
They do make them.....

I have two different fans - I will test them. The refrigerator fans don't
cause noise, but they are powered from refrigeration Danfoss module, while
noisy fan is powered direct from panel.

2. See if you can supress the noise coming out of the current fan, with
the appropriarte Ferrite Beads, and ByPass Capacitors, or get one
of the fancy NUMAR or Ormicon Noise Filters for the DC wires
feeding the fan. (wires most likely are acting like an antenna)

I will look at Radio Shack/The Source and see what they offer. Would it
help to use a shielded power cable?

3. Get ride of the fan altogether.....or maybe just turn it off while
your listening to the radio.

The fan is required to keep the refrig compressor compartment at acceptable
temperature - Maybe if I moved to Alaska I could turn it off , otherwise
our choice is cold beer or music.

As another option, I could relocate the AM/FM antenna - it is quite close to
the DC power panel. Could use one of those VHF/AMFM splitters and eliminate
AM/FM antenna altogether - would that help?