Wayne.B

Default AC power idea for target practice

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 12:23:55 GMT, "Thomas Wentworth"
wrote:

Once, long ago, in another time, before ... anyway,, I had a boat with the
switch. The 3 way switch that you could set for battery 1, 2, or both.
Nobody told me and I was young and dumb so I decided to show off for my crew
by switching the knob.

"Look, now I am recharging both and now I am charging one"

Next day,, no alternator.

Live and learn..

Oh yes. I think just about everyone with a boat has had that happen
at one time or another.

It has become my rule that the battery switch is never operated with
the engines running. Period. Doesn't matter if the switch is
"make-before-break", has a field disconnect wire, or there is a
"Zap-stopper" installed. There's always a possibility of failure and
it only takes a few microseconds to zap the diodes and ruin your next
couple of days locating and installing a replacement.