Jeff

Default Ocean Kayak and 27footer: store / tow

wrote:
Thanks, but I was asking for EXPERIENCES.

There are plenty of threads about towing, the
most recent about towing a heavy motorboat.
Not my interest.

Pleeaaaaase, experiences from people who
have done it. I can speculate plenty myself.

I can't help you either.

However, I do keep a large Ocean Kayak (Malibu II XL) on deck on our
36 foot catamaran. Our shrouds are inboard, and there's enough room
to wedge it between the shrouds and lifelines. At 61 pounds its light
enough for one person to drop it overboard, but its a lot easier to
use the main halyard and winch.

The kayak got a lot of use last summer: daily trips ashore with the
dog; poking around the anchorage. etc. The downside is that you
inevitably get a bit wet, and you have to accept the possibility of
getting a lot wet. So the hard dink is still better for fetching
groceries, etc.

I wouldn't want to tow it any distance. If you tow above its hull
speed it could be stressed; they strongly advise against towing with a
powerboat at speed.

http://www.oceankayak.com/malibutwoxl.html
http://www.sv-loki.com/Molly_Doodle/MollyBanana1.jpg