Mungo Bulge

Sorry, I was getting tired. There is one consideration that does need
to be addressed though, and that is ease of use. Not all these
installations will be manned or womanned by honest to goodness radio
operators, or even knowledgeable operators, so for the sake of
operation by neophytes in an emergency when out of range of VHF/UHF an
auto tuner would be one less thing to figure out how to use.
That's just my opinion.
--
The Road Warrior Hobbit

no -- it's NOT ok to contact this account with services or other
commercial interests

"Me" wrote in message
| In article ,
| "Mungo Bulge" wrote:
|
| Me is thinking "I'm vindicated" and Chucky is thinking "Another
nut
| case". You're both right. So why does it work, simple. The antenna
isn't
| a Marconi; it's an industry standard Marine HF band antenna, 2-30
MHz
| bandwidth, 10.8 MHz resonant frequency, 23 feet high and when
| connected to an HF radio set configured to its manufacturer's
| specifications it will perform admirably. If that were not the
case,
| we would have had to have had at the very least five quarter wave
| Marconi antennae ranging in height from 7.8 to 117 feet and we
don't.

| That Chucky is the proper use of reductio ad absurdum logic.
|
| Really close Mungo, but the antenna you are talking about doesn't
really
| have 2-30Mhz Bandwidth, at all. It is a Marconi tuned by an
Autotuner,
| to make it look like a 50 Ohm load to the radio so that the radio
will
| transfer as much power as possible to the antenna, minus what is
lost in
| RF Ground. If the RF Ground impedance is higher than the Antenna
| Impedance, with the autotuner doing it's best to make the whole
system
| appear to the transmitter as 50 Ohms, then most of the RF Energy
will
| dissipated in the RF Ground and lost to the communicator.
Autotuners
| suck, when compared to any manual tuner, specifically due to the way
the
| tuning software has to impliment changes in binary steps, and how
the
| Phase Detector Sensors provide feedback to the processor while doing
| tuneup. This all plays heavily into the design of the antenna
system
| connected to the autotuner, as any good tech will put the
"Untunable"