Brian Whatcott

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:19:13 GMT, Paul Oman
wrote:

I recently purchased a very expensive paint brush (hoping it would paint
the boat for me!)

Anyway, I realized I don't really know how to clean a paint brush....

I dip it in solvent a few times and use a 'brush spinner' - but don't
really know if I am doing it right. No big deal with cheap brushes, but
the $ ones need to last a while.

paul

It is very instructive to clean up a brush used for water-based paint.

Washing it under running water brings on the realization that a brush
can release pigment for a good while after solvent (water) starts
flowing.
The same principle applies to oil-base or resin-base paint:
it takes an awful lot of solvent to lose the last vesitiges of
pigment.

Better to hold a brush in suspended animation if at all possible -
people have used water-submersion for oil-based paint brshes -
or kept them in a fridge.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK