Fiona Stirling

you are right brian wave making drag was not mentioned because the
basic design described minimizes that. it remains an important issue
that was dealt with 6 or 8,000 years ago by the uinuit.
again on cross section shape you are exactly correct but perhaps not
realy right. a cylindrical hull is the fastest. a pattent was done on a
yacht in about 1963 titled archuform design. that silly little boat was
finished and raced very successfully. the problem with the cylinder in
a kayak is stability, most boats ( kayaks around here ) have a shallow
v design that allows for longditudinal stability, ( tracking )
Wave making issues are no stranger to a kayak, if you want an example
just paddle over a shallow that is about 6 inches deaper than your
draght, if you paddle in at a steady 3 or 4 knots it will slow you down
to the point you are wondering which friend just grabbed your boat.
that is where the wave action is most apparent.
standard calculation???? it is a little thin as so many variables in
design kick in before you can rely on a simple number swap.

brian i have not been on the news group for some time. i was in the uk.
if you remember my friend from our o.t . conversations ( iraq ) she and
hed daughter and son are in england hosted by a church. the little girl
is quite beautifull now and they will be living there unless i can
convince her to come to canada..