Short Wave Sportfishing

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 20:32:15 -0400, JohnH
wrote:

On 15 Oct 2004 23:41:58 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

It's a PR piece for a new product. "Articles" like this is very common in
all boating magazines. Normally they agree to run so many ads if the
magazine agrees to run the piece.

You don't know a goddam thing about boats, and don't even begin to insinuate
you know anything about boating magazines.

Pick up any issue of any boating magazine, and if it is reasonably successful
you can go through the magazine and say, "Oh, look! Here's an ad for that
company or brand of boat that was featured in an article this month. Must be
something fu'd going on here." Of course the fact that the same company or
product may have advertised regularly for years means nothing....

Now count the dozens, scores, or in some of the largest publications the
*hundreds* of ads for companies that do not have articles appearing in the
issue. Any explanation for those?

Add the publishing business to the list of things you need to learn more about.

Chuck, do any of these magazine pieces ever find anything wrong with the boats
they 'test'. I take "Motorboating" and it has several articles a month about new
boats. All of the new boats are 'spectacular'. None have faults. Are there any
magazines which actually compare different brands?

I can tell you that "Sal****er Sportsman" has never met a boat it
didn't like. To give them some credit, they do comment on some
fishability things, but the critique is tepid at best.

A couple of years ago, one of the NE fishing publications asked me to
review a bay boat - if only because I'm one of the only people in NE
who actually has one. :)

I said sure and I took the boat for a week. Ran it over in
Narragansett Bay, out around Fisher's, The Race, up the Connecticut -
did some fishing and wrote detailed critique of the boat including
most of the issues I have detailed here about my Ranger plus a couple
of rather unique ones comparing the test boat to my Ranger and the
Polar bay that I had run.

The editor called me after I sent it in and told me I needed to cut
back on the criticism and be more positive.

Oh well - some of us are destined to be Hemingway and some are
destined to be....well....me. :)

Later,

Tom
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653