Wally

Default Question: Judging High Tide by the Moon

Navigator wrote:
What location has moon rise and set 12 hours apart?

Virtually anywhere, I'd guess - just had a look at moon rise and set for
some random locations (Glasgow, Jerusalem and Canberra), for today, and
they're all a shade over 12 hours apart. If rise/set are close to due
east/west, then the time for the moon to traverse the sky will be about 12
hours - think about the solar equinoxes, where the sun rises/sets due
east/west. I dare say this princple won't hold at extreme latitudes. The
moon passes the due east/west points twice in its mo(o)nthly cycle.

--
Wally
www.forthsailing.com