posted to rec.boats.sailing,alt.sailing,alt.vacation,alt.travel.vacation-reports
a425couple a425couple is offline

Default I sailed a 14' Hobie Wave in Clearwater Bay

So, back around Christmas time 2018 we were on
vacation down in Largo Florida (just north of
St. Petersberg / Tampa Bay) and I went down to
Clearwater Sailing Club. I told the nice lady
acting as manager that I own and frequently sail
my own little 9'6" Nutshell pram and would like
to sail on one of her many boats.

She gave me a written test, I'm sure I blew it badly,
I do not know much of the language. But I think
she decided I got the most important ones correct,
and since I was still alive at past 70, I'd
probably be OK. She decided their 14' Hobie Wave
Catamaran was a good boat for me.

I had a grand 1 1/2 hours and went out, tacked
back and forth and made progress in any direction
I wanted to. I even saw something that occasionally
bobbed on the top of the waves, reversed back to it's
area, saw it again, reversed to close, and sailed right
by it close enough that I reaced overboard and picked it
up. It was a Notre Dame baseball hat that had been lost
was now well sun and ocean bleached, and by rights of
maritime salvage it was MINE! And when I chose to came
back to their little harbor I did so all safely and without
accident. I did NO tipping up on one hull or anything
too exciting!

https://www.clearwatercommunitysailing.org/
https://www.clearwatercommunitysaili.../boat-rentals/