posted to rec.boats.paddle
[email protected] njj2522@email.vccs.edu is offline

Default how to repair delaminating vinyl top layer of royalex hull?

On Wednesday, August 22, 2012 at 4:03:03 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Is the vinyl peeling, or is it worn off? Wearing off is normal with
heavy use, peeling is rare.

Royalex is the vinyl-ABS-vinyl sandwich. If the outer layer of vinyl is
going, it exposes the ABS to UV, which will degrade it. Yeah, you could
put a bunch of work into stripping off the de-lammed part, then glassing
over it, and probably painting it, too, but IMO $500 is way too much to
pay for a tandem canoe with a de-laminating hull. I just bought an Old
Town Discovery with a little delamination, within the layup--it's still
solid, though--for $150.

Keep looking, John.

Steve

On 8/22/2012 1:40 AM, john wrote:
Hello all, I'm new here. Briefly: I'm looking for a decent river
canoe for recreational paddling. I'm a fisherman and my daughter is
4 and I'd like to start getting her on the water. The boat is not
for fishing, rather just to float with the family some and see where
it takes us.

I found a decent looking boat in my price range: a Swift Dumoines,
$500. The hull has large portions of delamination in the outer
layer, it is not into the Royalex. I assume this is the vinyl
coating, ? The seller said that the fix is a fiberglass layer. I've
been researching and haven't found much about fixing this issue.
Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

it looks like it got damaged on rocks.