Default Dogs, was taxes

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 19:22:11 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 1/9/2018 6:59 PM, wrote:

I have a can of "behavior modification spray" that looks about the
same. I never even tried it. I am not sure if it was just a noise
maker or if it was some kind of nasty chemical but Deuce punched a
hole in it. He was still playing with it when I found him.

Mrs.E. used to use "Bitter Apple" spray on the paddock fencing to stop
her horses from chewing on the rails. Took about a week but they got to
really like the taste and chewed more.

My wife tried some of the "THUM" stuff that you paint on baby's thumbs
to discourage thumb sucking and Deuce was following her around looking
for more. This guy is a handful but a few things are going right. He
will walk with me in the woods and stay right with me so that is our
routine when he needs to go out. I have about 400 feet of power line
behind the house with water on 3 sides so we have it to ourselves and
we walk up and down that several times a day. The right of way is
about 100 feet wide with steep banks on both sides so we have the best
part of an acre to run around in. It is more mowing for me tho. It is
a jungle going the other way and I am not messing with that.
He is completely house broken but he still had problems taking things
that do not belong to him although the only thing he will actually
chews up is little pieces of paper and plastic cups. The cups are our
fault. We let him have plastic bottles when he was a pup. I guess he
is still a puppy at 8 months old but he is 85 pounds so it is easy to
forget.
The biggest problem is "distractions". If he sees other people or
other animals he is going over there and nothing will stop him. I
tried a shock collar and it makes him jump but it does not make him
forget about whatever he is going to see. I am hoping he just outgrows
that or at least calms down a bit about it.