Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default permanent

On Wed, 27 May 2015 06:38:35 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

I am in the process of building a permanent mooring and have a heavy
galvanized anchor as well as several lengths of galvanized and
stainless. However I have heard stories about rapid galvanic corrosion
when connecting stainless and galvanized together under water.

My question is, can I (should I) connect the heavy length of stainless
chain to a lighter length of galvanized chain and to the galvanized
anchor using stainless shackles and swivels? Or with galvanized
fittings?

I would normally plan on inspecting the mooring on a annual basis.

The reasoning in mixing materials is basically that I've got the two
lengths of chain and if useable need only to buy the shackles and
swivel.

Anyone with personal experience or specific knowledge of joining
stainless and galvanized in seawater?

===

Some people have reported problems but I've been using a stainless
steel swivel with galvanized chain and galvanized anchors for the last
11 years and 42,000 miles of cruising with no issues. My personal
philosophy is to make everything a lot stronger than it needs to be
and inspect it regularly. So far so good. Like aluminum, not all
stainless is created equal.