Default engine dies as soon as its put in gear???

We have a pontoon boat with a new Honda 4-stroke on it. The motor idles
fine and revs in neutral but as soon as we put it in forward or reverse gear
it cuts out. Is there some special switch that is out of adjustment???

Chuck

Tim Tim is offline

On Sep 18, 8:16*pm, "Chuck" wrote:
We have a pontoon boat with a new Honda 4-stroke on it. *The motor idles
fine and revs in neutral but as soon as we put it in forward or reverse gear
it cuts out. *Is there some special switch that is out of adjustment???

Chuck

Could be, Chuck. I dont' knwo a thing aboutt he Hondas, but Mercruiser
has a momentary kill swith that when the lower end in engaged into
either forward or reverse, there is a momentary "kill" that shuts the
ignition down for a split second so the lower end gears can engage
easier. The Honda may have the same type set up, but I really don't
know.

Now, if you shift it quickly from idle to forward with good throttle,
does the engine still die?

"Tim" wrote in message
On Sep 18, 8:16 pm, "Chuck" wrote:
We have a pontoon boat with a new Honda 4-stroke on it. The motor idles
fine and revs in neutral but as soon as we put it in forward or reverse
gear
it cuts out. Is there some special switch that is out of adjustment???

Chuck

Could be, Chuck. I dont' knwo a thing aboutt he Hondas, but Mercruiser
has a momentary kill swith that when the lower end in engaged into
either forward or reverse, there is a momentary "kill" that shuts the
ignition down for a split second so the lower end gears can engage
easier. The Honda may have the same type set up, but I really don't
know.

Now, if you shift it quickly from idle to forward with good throttle,
does the engine still die?

Actually, I think the Mercruiser momentarily kills ignition when shifting
"out" of gear into neutral. It has been a while, though, and maybe I am
mistaken.

Eisboch

Eisboch wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
On Sep 18, 8:16 pm, "Chuck" wrote:
[...]

Correctamundo Eisboch. I was thinking he might have fish line wrapped
around the prop, jamming it. Or the idle is set way too low. Hopefully
one of the experts is still hanging around to answer the question, but
it would be understandable if Harry drove them off again with his
nonsense.

"jim" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
On Sep 18, 8:16 pm, "Chuck" wrote:
[...]

I was thinking something similar. The OP mentioned it was a *new* Honda 4
stroke. Being new, perhaps the gearing, prop shaft, etc. is not broken in
yet and the resistance is too much for the current idle setting.

Eisboch

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 06:11:58 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"jim" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
On Sep 18, 8:16 pm, "Chuck" wrote:
[...]

Good thing you don't depend on your troubleshooting skills to put food
on the table. You'd lose a lot of weight.

Eisboch wrote:
"jim" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
On Sep 18, 8:16 pm, "Chuck" wrote:
[...]

Gee, I would have guessed an adjustment might be necessary to the
throttle position sensor, or TPS.

"Being new, perhaps the gearing, prop shaft, etc. is not broken in
yet and the resistance is too much for the current idle setting."

Now *that* is pretty funny. You forgot to mention a too-stiff whammis.

"jim" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
On Sep 18, 8:16 pm, "Chuck" wrote:
[...]

Cute comment. Stupid, totally unnecessary or deserved, but cute. You need
better material to play your game.
Try to make your comments a bit funny, at least. I have a decent sense of
humor.

Eisboch

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 01:16:54 GMT, "Chuck" wrote:

We have a pontoon boat with a new Honda 4-stroke on it. The motor idles
fine and revs in neutral but as soon as we put it in forward or reverse gear
it cuts out. Is there some special switch that is out of adjustment???

Modern 4 strokes have a lot of sensor driven electronics. They are
difficult to troubleshoot without the proper diagnostic equipment and
software. I'd take it to a dealer if it were mine.

1988 OMC Cobra Stern Drive Engine (6 cyl, 4.3 L) Starts, Dies, is Hard to Restart. frank1492 General 10 August 25th 07 11:56 PM
Engine dies. Bayman1 General 3 November 7th 05 02:53 PM
Engine dies- Putters when trying to plane- engine under under heavy load Bora Cider General 4 May 18th 04 04:12 PM
Standard 80W90 gear oil vs. Marine grade gear oil ????? D.B. General 2 April 25th 04 04:12 AM
Put into gear = Engine shuts down? Tony Thomas General 2 July 20th 03 12:19 AM