can you dye a sail?

Old February 12th 07, 12:24 PM posted to rec.boats.cruising
ray lunder

Default can you dye a sail?

Ahoy, I have brown Tanbark sails but I'm getting a new foresail to go
on my newly fitted bowsprit. As I can't afford a new Tanbark sail I
was told I could match my existing color scheme by taking an old white
sail and dying it with Mahogany wood stain of some sort and it would
last about 25 years. (the color anyway). This is from people who made
sails for a living but they are no longer in the area. Has anyone
tried this and if so what kind of stain did you use?
Thanks again,
All-the-way-Ray.

Old February 12th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.boats.cruising
Paul Cassel

ray lunder wrote:
Ahoy, I have brown Tanbark sails but I'm getting a new foresail to go
on my newly fitted bowsprit. As I can't afford a new Tanbark sail I
was told I could match my existing color scheme by taking an old white
sail and dying it with Mahogany wood stain of some sort and it would
last about 25 years. (the color anyway). This is from people who made
sails for a living but they are no longer in the area. Has anyone
tried this and if so what kind of stain did you use?
Thanks again,
All-the-way-Ray.

How much is the diff between tanbark and white sails now? When I was
buying they were costed identically.
Old February 13th 07, 06:47 AM posted to rec.boats.cruising
ray lunder

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 07:54:43 -0700, Paul Cassel
wrote:

ray lunder wrote:
Ahoy, I have brown Tanbark sails but I'm getting a new foresail to go
on my newly fitted bowsprit. As I can't afford a new Tanbark sail I
was told I could match my existing color scheme by taking an old white
sail and dying it with Mahogany wood stain of some sort and it would
last about 25 years. (the color anyway). This is from people who made
sails for a living but they are no longer in the area. Has anyone
tried this and if so what kind of stain did you use?
Thanks again,
All-the-way-Ray.

How much is the diff between tanbark and white sails now? When I was
buying they were costed identically.

But that's NEW, right? I looking at a $90 used sail I can dye, not a
boutique $2000+ headsail.

Old February 13th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.boats.cruising
Bob

On Feb 12, 4:24 am, ray lunder wrote:
Ahoy, I have brown Tanbark sails but I'm getting a new foresail to go
on my newly fitted bowsprit. As I can't afford a new Tanbark sail I
was told I could match my existing color scheme by taking an old white
sail and dying it with Mahogany wood stain of some sort and it would
last about 25 years. (the color anyway). This is from people who made
sails for a living but they are no longer in the area. Has anyone
tried this and if so what kind of stain did you use?
Thanks again,
All-the-way-Ray.

AArggg !
Let er color be. A vessel of fortune looks not to the fancy color of a
sail ploondered. Rather if it snaps sharply when coming about from
HMS!

Old February 16th 07, 08:54 AM posted to rec.boats.cruising
ray lunder

On 13 Feb 2007 08:31:48 -0800, "Bob" wrote:

On Feb 12, 4:24 am, ray lunder wrote:
Ahoy, I have brown Tanbark sails but I'm getting a new foresail to go
on my newly fitted bowsprit. As I can't afford a new Tanbark sail I
was told I could match my existing color scheme by taking an old white
sail and dying it with Mahogany wood stain of some sort and it would
last about 25 years. (the color anyway). This is from people who made
sails for a living but they are no longer in the area. Has anyone
tried this and if so what kind of stain did you use?
Thanks again,
All-the-way-Ray.

AArggg !
Let er color be. A vessel of fortune looks not to the fancy color of a
sail ploondered. Rather if it snaps sharply when coming about from
HMS!

Oh boy, I can see this is a dyeing thread,..

Ping Thom. Peter Wiley ASA 27 November 1st 05 08:04 AM
Sail Ho! [email protected] General 1 September 9th 05 10:54 PM
Fall Sail on the Chesapeake Bay Scott Vernon ASA 169 October 25th 04 12:14 AM
Wanted: DN Sail for Donation or cheap for BSA Troop Rob General 0 February 23rd 04 02:30 PM
Removing Adhesive from Sail Numbers on sail George and Vicki Hamilton General 4 December 22nd 03 02:43 AM