knots that'll stay tied using poly rope ?

Old January 14th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.boats.cruising
Courtney Thomas

Default knots that'll stay tied using poly rope ?

What is the best knot that not only will stay tied but is easy to untie
and where can I find an example of how to tie it, please ?

Thank you,
Courtney
Old January 14th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.boats.cruising
scbafreak via BoatKB.com

Courtney Thomas wrote:
What is the best knot that not only will stay tied but is easy to untie
and where can I find an example of how to tie it, please ?

Thank you,
Courtney

That will depend on what you need the knot to do. Lots of books out there.
Try the marlinspike sailor by Hervey Garrett Smith. Lots of basic knots and
how to tie them as well as what they are good for.

Bill

Old January 14th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.boats.cruising
KLC Lewis

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
What is the best knot that not only will stay tied but is easy to untie
and where can I find an example of how to tie it, please ?

Thank you,
Courtney

The most comprehensive book you'll ever find on the subject is "Encyclopedia
of Knots and Fancy Rope Work" by Graumont. Easier to follow for the average
bear is "Ashley's Book of Knots." Hervey Garrett Smith's "Marlinspike
Sailor" is also very good, and I would list all three as essential for any
ship's library.

Karin

Old January 14th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.boats.cruising

Courtney Thomas wrote:
What is the best knot that not only will stay tied but is easy to untie
and where can I find an example of how to tie it, please ?

Thank you,
Courtney

We use poly rope for stern tying up in Desolation Sound. I use the
same knots for any given application that I would use for other lines
except that I tape the bitter end off with electrical tape because poly
does have a habit for coming undone?

Old January 14th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.boats.cruising
Jack Dale

Poly rope, because it floats, is great for stern lines which are needed on
crowded anchorages. Rather than tying it off, we loop it though a ring or
around a rock or tree and back to a cleat on the boat.

Poly is also used for painters, in which case it is spliced to build to the
bridle.

If you do need to tie a knot, you might whip the loose ends. Cut the whip
to untie the knot.

BTW - to what purpose will you use poly line.

Jack

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 13:10:35 -0500, Courtney Thomas
wrote:

What is the best knot that not only will stay tied but is easy to untie
and where can I find an example of how to tie it, please ?

Thank you,
Courtney

Replace the poly rope with something reasonably decent. Poly does not hold
knots, and deteriorates quickly when exposed to the elements. It DOES
float,
which is helpful for some light duty uses, but the junctions need to held
be
secured with more than just a knot.

CWM

Old January 14th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.boats.cruising
Courtney Thomas

wrote:

What is the best knot that not only will stay tied but is easy to untie
and where can I find an example of how to tie it, please ?

Thank you,
Courtney

Replace the poly rope with something reasonably decent. Poly does not hold
knots, and deteriorates quickly when exposed to the elements. It DOES
float,
which is helpful for some light duty uses, but the junctions need to held
be
secured with more than just a knot.

CWM

Thanks for the interest of all.

The immediate use is to tie a tarp down so you see my concern about it
staying tied and being easily untied, I was given 600' of 3/8" and other
than dinghy painter have no other use for it, so am going to use it to
secure the tarp.

I'll whip the ends with electrical tape but what particular knot would
you use, given my application ?

Gratefully,
Courtney
Old January 14th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.boats.cruising
Bob

Courtney Thomas wrote:

I'll whip the ends with electrical tape but what particular knot would
you use, given my application ?

Gratefully,
Courtney

When I worked in the GOM for a diving contractor we used that
yellow/oranag poly often for attaching a bouy to a pipe.The stuff is
very slippery. The constant motion of the sea will work harder than a
raccoon to undo most any knot with great success. There are two knots
that I have used for poly in the water:

1) The Poly Knot, to make an eye with braded or three strand.
2) West Coast Dungi Crabber's Bouy Knot, to attach two bitter ends of
similar size three strand poly.

Would you like instructions?
Bob

Old January 14th 07, 08:39 PM posted to rec.boats.cruising
Jeff

Courtney Thomas wrote:
What is the best knot that not only will stay tied but is easy to untie
and where can I find an example of how to tie it, please ?

Thank you,
Courtney

You have to tell us whether you mean Polyester, of which Dacron is a
brand name, and is used for all sorts of running rigging, or
Polypropylene which is a much weaker rope, but which floats and is
used for water toys, etc. There is a huge difference in their ability
to hold knots.

While you're at it, you might tell us the application and the size and
type of line. For example, cheap polypropylene won't hold a bowline
at all, but some of the modern forms will.

Also, be careful taking advice from the traditional books, such as
Graumont or Ashley, since both types of "Poly" came into use after
these books were written.
Old January 14th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.boats.cruising
Garland Gray II

I'm sure you know that polypropelene doesn't handle uv well.
Don't know how long you expect to have this tarp erected, but maybe it's
made of the same stuff, so won't matter.

Old January 14th 07, 09:25 PM posted to rec.boats.cruising
Lew Hodgett

Courtney wrote:

The immediate use is to tie a tarp down so you see my concern about it
staying tied and being easily untied, I was given 600' of 3/8" and

other
than dinghy painter have no other use for it, so am going to use it to
secure the tarp.

Thread poly thru tarp grommets from side to side under boat, like
lacing a shoe, then whip a 12" loop in each end.

Thread end thru a gallon plastic jug handle that is full of water, and
allowed to hang a couple of feet of the ground. Whip loop to hold jug.

Get a beer and think of more questions.

BTDT

Lew

Heart of Gold clip to windward Capt. Rob ASA 109 October 10th 06 04:55 PM
Knots on the Web Mic Cruising 4 May 18th 05 03:08 AM
Tied up in Knots? JimH General 0 February 11th 05 11:58 PM