Marine Penetrol

Old January 11th 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.boats
jerryeveretts

Default Marine Penetrol

I just got my 17 Mako back out of the shop, this is a 20 year old boat.
About 6 months ago I polished the gelcoat, then never got around to
waxing it, it is chalky looking again. I was going to give Marine
Penetrol a try, but I have some new vinyl lettering for the side of the
boat. should I put these on before or after the penetrol?

Jerry

Old January 11th 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.boats
basskisser

jerryeveretts wrote:
I just got my 17 Mako back out of the shop, this is a 20 year old boat.
About 6 months ago I polished the gelcoat, then never got around to
waxing it, it is chalky looking again. I was going to give Marine
Penetrol a try, but I have some new vinyl lettering for the side of the
boat. should I put these on before or after the penetrol?

Jerry

Here's something about Penetrol that I dug up:

"An interesting tidbit about Penetrol: If you buy a quart of 'Marine'
penetrol it will set you back nearly $13.00. If you go to Home Depot
and buy a quart of regular Penetrol, then it's about $7.00. You may
think to yourself, "Hmm, the marine stuff must have something
interesting about it." You'd be wrong. A call to the company that makes
Penetrol by Herb garnered the following fact: It's all the same. The
line that cans 'marine' Penetrol is exactly the same one canning the
standard stuff. What changes? The label. And the price."

I can't tell you for sure, but I think I'd put the lettering on
afterward. I'd treat with Penetrol, then when it came time to put the
lettering on, I'd clean that area with alcohol.

Old January 22nd 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.boats
Christos Ramirez

I personally would not use penetrol on the gel coat.

Best way to restore the chalky gelcoat is to acid wash the boat, then cut it
back using a buff, then switch pads and use a fine non silicone fibreglass
polish. Apply your lettering and put a coat of wax over the lot.

Cam

"basskisser" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old January 23rd 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.boats
Don Dando

I have found that using a washing mixture of TSP (Tri Sodium Phosphate)
removes the chalk and leaves a bright gel coat. It is available at some
hardware stores.

Don Dando

jerryeveretts wrote:
[...]

Marine Plywood or plywood for marine uses + links and images Mic Cruising 0 September 22nd 05 03:38 AM
2005 West Marine catalog announed gould0738@aol.co[email protected] General 23 March 5th 05 02:48 PM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM
The same people Simple Simon ASA 28 July 23rd 03 03:20 PM