St. Johns River Cruising Guide

Old August 4th 03, 06:55 PM
Armond Perretta

Default St. Johns River Cruising Guide

Florida Keyz wrote:
Anyone have the ST. Johns river cruising guide by Thomas Kranz?

Wondering if it is worth while? ($45) I have cruised the St. Johns
once using Clariborne Young book, which was good.However, this time
would like to expore the creeks, find anchorages, local
knowoledge,etc.

Any Comments?

Thanks

Sterling

I think this is always a good type of question. We collect guides as we go
along, and then when we return to a place we find the author has issued a
new "updated" edition. The question then becomes one of practicality,
economics, etc., about whether to get the latest version, as well as
deciding what to do with the old one. Anyway, enuf of that ...

I also cruised the Saint Johns using Young's guides, and just at about that
time the Kranz book was in pre-publication. I wish I'd had it but that was
not possible. If you are like me, you will buy just about _all_ the books
that cover any region. It's not so much that there is a safety issue. It's
rather that it always seems interesting to get different author's
opinions, and then later after having visited the place on one's own, make a
decision about who knows what he or she is talking about.

In other words, buy the book. Have a good cruise, Sterling.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Old August 6th 03, 11:10 PM
john s.

"Armond Perretta" wrote in message ...
Florida Keyz wrote:
[...]

Armond, International Marine Publications, The Armchair Sailor and Blu
Water Books must love you dearly ....:-)
john
Old August 7th 03, 11:35 AM
Florida Keyz

I ordered the guide,, $50 plus with shipping from bluewater. Will let you know
if it is worthwhile.

thanks

sterling

St. Johns River houseboat rentals John Wentworth General 7 January 14th 04 04:21 AM
ST. Johns River and ICW Update Florida Keyz General 0 September 12th 03 07:42 PM
St. Johns River Becoming 1 Large Manatee Zone Capt. Frank Hopkins General 24 August 21st 03 03:48 AM
st. johns river Florida Keyz General 0 August 4th 03 04:23 PM
The St. John's River j r sherman Cruising 19 July 20th 03 12:31 AM