Boat Power Trim Up Switch Not Working - Help!

Old May 23rd 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.boats

Default Boat Power Trim Up Switch Not Working - Help!

I've purchased my first boat - '95 Bayliner Capri Classic with the
Alpha One 135 engine. The Power trim up switch doesn't work, but the
down switch does. I can raise the motor for trailering by using the out
switch, but can't trim the motor up. Any ideas? Also, the speedometer
works about half the time. Is it a bad speedometer? How hard is it to
check? Any help would be appreciated.

Old May 23rd 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.boats

"Jeff" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've purchased my first boat - '95 Bayliner Capri Classic with the
Alpha One 135 engine. The Power trim up switch doesn't work, but the
down switch does. I can raise the motor for trailering by using the out
switch, but can't trim the motor up. Any ideas? Also, the speedometer
works about half the time. Is it a bad speedometer? How hard is it to
check? Any help would be appreciated.

The trim position sender on the side of the outreive is bad. Live without it
if you can. It's a pain in the butt to change. Speedometers are inacurate,
clog easy, and aren't really necessary. Problems are usually with the Pitot
tube.
Jim

Old May 23rd 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.boats

Thanks Jim for your help.

Old May 24th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.boats

About the speedometer. You'll likely want a sonar. I did, so I got
myself a fishfinder ... on sale of course. Combines sonar, speedometer
and water temp all in one (discontinued 300TX model). Sure, GPS is more
accurate as a speedometer ... but doesn't tell you the water depth :-)
The speedometer is useful in that when combined with the tach, helps
you optimize the trim setting. And the "out" switch will work just fine
for that ... used mine a few seasons before fixing the trim switch.

Old May 24th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.boats

Should qualify ... no GPS depth data on rivers, lakes where I boat,
fish.

Old May 24th 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.boats

"JIMinFL" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Jeff" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've purchased my first boat - '95 Bayliner Capri Classic with the
Alpha One 135 engine. The Power trim up switch doesn't work, but the
down switch does. I can raise the motor for trailering by using the out
switch, but can't trim the motor up. Any ideas? Also, the speedometer
works about half the time. Is it a bad speedometer? How hard is it to
check? Any help would be appreciated.

The trim position sender on the side of the outreive is bad. Live without
it if you can. It's a pain in the butt to change. Speedometers are
inacurate, clog easy, and aren't really necessary. Problems are usually
with the Pitot tube.
Jim

Why would you say the trim position sender is bad? The statement is the
trim only works one way. Aren't there relays in the circuit? Check if
power is going to pull the relay, or swap the relays and see if the trim
works the other way.

Old May 24th 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.boats

"bowgus" wrote in message
oups.com...
For what it's worth, the trim position sensor (outdrive starboard side)
has nothing to do with the trim control ... it's only a potentiometer
that drives the trim indicator on the dash. And the other sensor (port
side) limits how high the outdrive lifts (breaks the circuit) when
using the trim up switch ... so the trim up problem might be associated
with that sensor or the circuit.

You are right, of course. It seems I had a brain fart. ;-) If the limit
switch isn't bad it is very likely that the wires coming from it are rotted
and broken. Either way the switch will need to be replaced. Or if he has the
trim switch on the handle and the trailer switch on the dash, the trim
switch could be bad. If he has the 3 buttons on the console, the (console)
trim switch can't be the problem. He will need a voltmeter to eliminate the
guesswork.
Jim

Old May 25th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.boats

Meant to say trim limit switch. BOWGUS picked up on the error.