Wineglass Wherry

Old December 31st 03, 03:07 PM
BB

Default Wineglass Wherry

Has anyone built or used the Wineglass Wherry offered by Pigmy Boats?
http://www.pygmyboats.com/mall/WGWSPECS.asp

It's an attractive design and light weight too.

Looking to build, just don't know what yet..........

Bill

Old January 1st 04, 02:32 AM
Ed Lindsey

One of my neighbors has a partially completed Wineglass Wherry in his
garage. Seems it was partially complete when he moved in 2 years ago.......
My comment speaks more to his diligence than the difficulty of building a
Pygmy kit.

About 5 years ago I decided to build a kayak, visited the Pygmy Boatworks
and left with a Coho kit. Overall quality was excellent. Took me about 20%
longer then estimated to build, came in within 1-1/2 lbs of design weight,
documentation was accurate and complete.

IMHO, If the Wineglass meets your intended use, you'll be happy with the
Pygmy's kit.

Ed

I built a Coho about 5 years back. Fast, light weight, swee lines.

Old January 1st 04, 05:12 PM
Backyard Renegade

"BB" wrote in message ...
Has anyone built or used the Wineglass Wherry offered by Pigmy Boats?
http://www.pygmyboats.com/mall/WGWSPECS.asp

It's an attractive design and light weight too.

Looking to build, just don't know what yet..........

Bill

Heard good things about their kits. Jelous of their CNC machine, ugh.
Anyway, as to the Wherry, I would probably build it from a kit, with
everything already cut out, but it always seemed like there were just
to many panels for S+T. What I mean is, if I were going to cut out
that many panels, I might just as well cut some frames to, cut the
panels out of plank, rivet them together, and make a "real"
boat...grin
Scotty from SmallBoats.com
Old January 1st 04, 06:53 PM
Brian D

Well ...I'd rather cut lots of panels and fit them to temporary molds than
cut out permanent frames that end up in the boat. Due to cleaning and
drainage issue, and the muck that always ends up trapped everywhere, and the
time it takes to cut bevels on frames etc, I don't expect to build framed
boats for personal use anymore. If I recreate something beautiful and
traditional, then super, I'll do it. For daily use stuff, no way.
Stitch-n-tape boats clean out like hosing out a bathtub

Brian

--
My boat project: http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message
om...

Old January 2nd 04, 02:16 AM
BB

That's how I feel about my Moccasin canoe, built from plans.
Even with minor scarffing (overlap) I enjoyed the process but not as much as
the use of the craft.