Bolger Diablo

Old November 30th 03, 03:33 PM
BeefaloeB

Default Bolger Diablo

Anybody have any experience with the Bolger Diablo, both building and using? I
have read about it in Instant Boats, and it looks like it might be right for
me.
Old December 3rd 03, 01:16 PM
BeefaloeB

I have built two boats from the Instant Boats book, as well as a couple of
small stitch and glue kayaks, so I feel moderately experienced with the
building aspect. I am not especially experienced with power boats, though. I
live near the Hudson River outside of Albany, so I would want to use a boat
there, and I spend part of every summer on Cape Cod (near the Pamet River in
Truro), so I would want to be able to use it to get out on the bay there.
Fishing and general pleasure are my intended uses.

I hadn't given any consideration to the cost of the motor yet. If it is too
expensive, it could scuttle the entire project.

Old December 5th 03, 03:33 AM
BeefaloeB

Well, it may be a little small for the bay as Paysons boats are
considered "protected water boats".

What would you recommend as a better stitch-and-glue type boat to use on Cape
Cod Bay? I wouldn't be going out too far...Long Point from Provincetown and
out past the mouth of the Pamet River.

Old December 11th 03, 04:11 AM
James W. Sloan

Don't forget that there is a Diablo Grande plan as well. This might give you
a little more room along with some stability in bigger waters.

Old December 11th 03, 04:01 PM
Backyard Renegade

"James W. Sloan" wrote in message link.net...
Don't forget that there is a Diablo Grande plan as well. This might give you
a little more room along with some stability in bigger waters.

I think the problem with Diablo Grande is the interior design. the
boat is set up like a Bass platform, fully enclosed with a floor that
is only a few inches below the shear line. At the console you sit on
this "deck" with your feet down through a opening in the deck to the
bilge. Although the larger hull would indicate that it should be a
better boat in bigger water, I think it is really meant to be just a
wider, longer fishing platform. This is not as radical as it may
sound, and I have never built the boat or heard reports, but I never
liked the way the interior looked. If I used the hull shape, I would
redesign the structure of the interior to leave some floor space. I
like to stand down in a boat when fishing, not on top of it. Just my
personal preference, Scotty from SmallBoats.com
Old December 13th 03, 05:32 AM
James W. Sloan

Sounds more like a flats boat setup from your description. I've never
studied the Grande plans, just the regular Diablo in Dynamite's book. It
should be simple enough to get the cockpit modified with a proper floor, but
not for a first timer.

James Sloan
Saint Simons Island, GA

Old December 13th 03, 06:22 PM
Ron Magen

I was thinking of using the 'regular' Diablo as a platform for a 'Mini-River
Patrol Boat' or 'Mini-Lobster Boat' for my wife.

Phil nixed the idea . . . would NOT be stable enough. He recommended the
'Grande'. Remember, in either case, a superstructure of some type would be
put on the hull. Therefore, for form stability, the CG would have to be
lowered. This indicates, to me, that lowering the 'floor/deck' should be no
problem.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop