"Porpoising"

Old June 28th 04, 11:56 PM
harleyflh

Default "Porpoising"

I just got a New Tracker Grizzly 1860. I have a 60 HP Mercury on it and
I'm having a problem getting it to plane off. It wants to flop up and
come down hard on the water. The dealer says the motor isn't getting
"under" the boat enough, which I don't doubt. My question is, What is
the best way to solve this problem? The dealer says it's a problem
inherant in flat bottom boats and hard to fix. Any help or Information
would be appreciated!

Old June 29th 04, 05:13 AM
Tony Thomas

Try installing wedges between the motor and the transom. They are available
at most marine dealers and probably available at overtons or boatworld.
Another option would be a whale tail.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

Old June 29th 04, 06:47 AM
Matt Lang

It is a problem often happens with flat bottoms ... what you can do is:

- change trim of the motor
- shift weight in the boat (froward or back)
- use trim tabs
- manipulate transom lip (not recommended.

Matt

Old June 29th 04, 03:55 PM
Doug Kanter

"harleyflh" wrote in message
I just got a New Tracker Grizzly 1860. I have a 60 HP Mercury on it and
I'm having a problem getting it to plane off. It wants to flop up and
come down hard on the water. The dealer says the motor isn't getting
"under" the boat enough, which I don't doubt. My question is, What is
the best way to solve this problem? The dealer says it's a problem
inherant in flat bottom boats and hard to fix. Any help or Information
would be appreciated!

I know nothing about remedies for this problem, but based on what the first
two respondents said, you might want to give serious consideration to the
idea of getting the dealer to take this boat back, and FAST, before he calls
it "very used". To my way of thinking, a new boat should ride the way you
want without having to hang all sorts of accessories on it. Fine tuning is
one thing, but it sounds like your boat needs major surgery, unless weight
adjustment does the trick. What other brands does the dealer sell?

One thing you didn't mention is how many people were in the boat when you
had problems with the ride. If the problem only exists when you're in it
alone, try putting 100 lbs of sandbags up front. Tube sand comes in bags
that are quite sturdy and easy to lift, something you'll probably have to do
on days when you're going to have passengers.

Old June 30th 04, 01:52 AM
Boots Crofoot

this condition can be cause by a hook in the bottom. Check
it and make sure it does not have a hook in it.

Old June 30th 04, 03:31 PM
Gould 0738

What's a hook in the bottom?

Phenomenon where a boat develops a downward curve in the keel line, almost
always aft. May be associated with storage on a rack or trailer without bunk
support under the transom.