adding aluminum skin under pontoon

Old June 1st 05, 09:03 PM
[email protected]

Default adding aluminum skin under pontoon

I just purchased a 20' pontoon. It's my first boat and I took it out
about a week ago. I've got a 90 hp ETEC on it and 25" pontoons. It'll
go right at 30 mph according to the speedometer on the boat, which is
pretty satisfactory for me.

However, I could feel water hitting the cross members under the deck
and slowing us down. I opted not to get the skins applied on the boat
when I ordered it, so I've been considering putting some underneath
myself.

What would be the proper way to do this? My idea is to buy thin
aluminum sheet and rivet it underneath with aluminum rivets to avoid
any galvanic reaction at the fasteners. The cross members already have
slotted holes in them which would be nice to use to accept the rivets.

One thing I am concerned about is squeaking from the movement of the
aluminum sheet against the crossmembers. Is this a valid concern? Is
there a technique or material I can use to avoid this?

All opinions welcome.

thanks,

-Trent

Old June 1st 05, 11:41 PM
tony thomas

If I remember right the factory uses silicone between the ribs and the skin
to prevent squeaks. Then just rivit into place.
Getting the drilled rivit holes in the skin to line up with the existing
holes is going to be almost impossible. Just drill new ones.

As for the speed - you will gain about 2 mph on top end.

As for your speedo - probably about right.
But - every pontoon I have had looses about 2 mph on top end after a few
weeks of use. Something about the oxidation on the pontoons or something.
And I always kept mine on a trailer so dirty pontoons was not the issue.

--
Tony
my boats and cars at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

-