can I convert a long shaft small outboard to short shaft

Old February 21st 04, 03:16 AM
mike

Default can I convert a long shaft small outboard to short shaft

I have a 1986 johnson 25 hp outboard. I was wondering if its posible
to change it to a short shaft? I do not think the long shaft is gonna
work for a small fishing boat. It was an emergency motor on a larger
boat. Thanks Mike
Old February 21st 04, 03:45 AM
Lawrence James

It usually is possible to make these conversions but you have to find a used
lower section. There are some places that specialize in used parts, do some
web searches.

om...

Old February 21st 04, 05:06 AM
Grumpy

Friend of mine had a similar situation, He installed an extra board on his
transom to raise the motor. Worked out a lot cheaper too. Just a thought

Al

om...

Old February 21st 04, 11:08 AM
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:06:24 +1100, "Grumpy"
wrote:

Friend of mine had a similar situation, He installed an extra board on his
transom to raise the motor. Worked out a lot cheaper too. Just a thought

Al

I agree with Al - it's a lot cheaper, easier to do and you don't have
to search around for short shaft parts that may/may not properly fit.
It's only a matter of a couple of inches.

Good luck.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"Fisherman are born honest, but they get
over it." - Ed Zern
Old February 21st 04, 01:16 PM
RichG

This device should do it for you, with NO mechanical worries. The last two
boats that I had, had a 20 inch o/b on a 15 inch transom. In each case, the
boat was then equipped with some sort of jack plate or extended tilt/trim.
That solved the problem and even let me run a little shallower. This device
looks like a poor man's jack plate, without very much setback nor cost.

RichG

http://rickracers.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=119

Old February 21st 04, 01:44 PM
JAXAshby

if there is a very noticeable 5" extension above the cavitation plate, then you
need only to buy a short driveshaft, take the unit apart, remove the water line
extension, the gear shirt extension, install the short driveshaft and put the
thing back together. If you particular engine does not have that very
noticeable 5" extension then you need to sell the engine and get an engine
right for your boat.

. com...

Old February 23rd 04, 07:13 PM
Rod McInnis

I have a 1986 johnson 25 hp outboard. I was wondering if its posible
to change it to a short shaft?

I wouldn't go to that much trouble on an 18 year old motor.

You would be better off selling it to someone who needs a long shaft motor
and then buying a short shaft motor to replace it.

Rod

OT Bush hatred basskisser General 210 February 16th 04 02:46 PM
FS/trade 1995 Merc 8 HP remote control long shaft outboard volson50 General 0 December 12th 03 03:24 PM
Dilemma; Extra long shaft to long shaft? Rural Knight General 7 August 3rd 03 04:40 AM