Maybe the best boat soap I ever used

Old February 19th 05, 11:54 PM
[email protected]

Default Maybe the best boat soap I ever used

The rumors were true! There really was a boat under all that dirt.
The water has been off at my slip since October, so today's project was
to motor over to the guest dock and scrub (for 4 hours) her clean.

I stopped and purchased a bottle of Meguire's "Gold Seal" car wash
soap. ($7.99). I've had it with paying $30 a gallon for so-called boat
soap at Big Box Marine- only be disappointed with the results.

This Meguires stuff is so concentrated that it pours like molasses.
I used half a bottle on my very dirty 36-footer, and the boat hasn't
been so clean in a long time.

If you're looking for a good boat soap, the answer may not be a "boat
soap" at all. :-)

Old February 20th 05, 08:27 AM
[email protected]

Gary wrote:
Where did you get the Meguires soap? Is it available at most auto

parts
places? I'm not familiar with it, but if I can find it I'll surely

give it
a try.

Thanks for the report!

I bought it at a regional variety/grocery, Fred Meyer.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On 19 Feb 2005 15:54:09 -0800, wrote:
I stopped and purchased a bottle of Meguire's "Gold Seal" car wash
soap. ($7.99). I've had it with paying $30 a gallon for so-called

boat
soap at Big Box Marine- only be disappointed with the results.

This Meguires stuff is so concentrated that it pours like

molasses.
I used half a bottle on my very dirty 36-footer, and the boat

hasn't
been so clean in a long time.

If you're looking for a good boat soap, the answer may not be a

"boat
soap" at all. :-)

=============================

Good to know, thanks for the report. I've also had some luck with
Pine-Sol and Simple Green. Pine-Sol seems particularly effective

with
brown water line stains, and also black sooty residue.

Old February 20th 05, 02:33 PM
NOYB

wrote in message
ps.com...
The rumors were true! There really was a boat under all that dirt.
The water has been off at my slip since October, so today's project was
to motor over to the guest dock and scrub (for 4 hours) her clean.

I stopped and purchased a bottle of Meguire's "Gold Seal" car wash
soap. ($7.99). I've had it with paying $30 a gallon for so-called boat
soap at Big Box Marine- only be disappointed with the results.

This Meguires stuff is so concentrated that it pours like molasses.
I used half a bottle on my very dirty 36-footer, and the boat hasn't
been so clean in a long time.

If you're looking for a good boat soap, the answer may not be a "boat
soap" at all. :-)

Is it biodegradable? Or is that just a marketing ploy for the more
expensive soaps at the boat stores?

Old February 20th 05, 03:51 PM
Jay

Yeah... I've been very unimpressed with a variety of "marine" soaps.. and
found for 88 cents / can, generic scrub and bubbles to work the best....

-j

ps.com...

Old February 20th 05, 04:07 PM
Don White

"Jay" wrote in message
Yeah... I've been very unimpressed with a variety of "marine" soaps.. and
found for 88 cents / can, generic scrub and bubbles to work the best....

You have to wonder if the 'official' boat soaps are watered down to preserve
pristine lakes etc. My boat is trailerable, so I wash it in the
driveway...same as the van.