Default 1987 80 hp mercury outboard idle

How do you adjust the idle on this year model? I just need it to drop
a tad. Thanks,

tony thomas

Disconnect the throttle cable from the motor linkage and verify idle is set
correctly (600 to 800 rpms in gear in the water moving forward). There is a
set screw on the linkage that goes against a stop to adjust. Out of the
water or in neutral it may idle as high as 1000 or more rpms depending on
the boat and prop. The closer you can get it to 600 and it stay running
smoothly and shift into gear without dieing the better you are for the
gears.

Once adjusted properly reconnect the throttle cable so it has not slop in
it.

Tony
my boats and cars at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

wrote in message
ups.com...
How do you adjust the idle on this year model? I just need it to drop
a tad. Thanks,

"There is a set screw on the linkage that goes against a stop to
adjust"

That is what I can not find. I have looked all over and can not find
it. I'm not a boat mechanic by any means but I have worked on auto
engines. There is an arm that goes to the fly wheel that when I move
it back slows it down, but I was thinking that adjusted the timing and
I did not want to set the idle by changing the timing. I did read
somewhere that on that model, that was the only way. Any help would be
great.

Clams Canino

On most old mercs the carb throttles are totally closed at idle (or should
be) and in fact it is the idle timing that is the final arbiter of idle
speed. Just make sure you don;t screw wiith the max-avance timing or things
could get ugly. Go over to iboats and search for a post I did entitled
"timing and sync" - the search engine there is pretty good.

-W

wrote in message
oups.com...
"There is a set screw on the linkage that goes against a stop to
adjust"

That is what I can not find. I have looked all over and can not find
it. I'm not a boat mechanic by any means but I have worked on auto
engines. There is an arm that goes to the fly wheel that when I move
it back slows it down, but I was thinking that adjusted the timing and
I did not want to set the idle by changing the timing. I did read
somewhere that on that model, that was the only way. Any help would be
great.

K. Smith

How do you adjust the idle on this year model? I just need it to drop
a tad. Thanks,

If you get someone to slowly work the throttle from idle to full a few
times while you watch you'll see what happens.

Essentially idle speed is controlled with spark timing retard not by
adjusting the throttle plates. You will notice from idle the throttle
moves quite a ways before it even starts to open the throttle plate linkage.

The relationship between all the links is important otherwise you can
finish up with too much advance at too low a revs, so don't just adjust
anything, even if it does change the idle it may be bad for the engine.

The vertical arm on the side of the engine, the one connected to the
throttle cable itself, it has a lock nutted screw at it's lowest point,
it's actually below the arms pivot point, down close to where the
throttle cable connects on.

That's the idle speed adjustment screw that Tony is referring to any
others are up higher above the arms pivots & should not be touched
unless you propose to fully adjust the engine's timing including the
pickup point & max advance. Once you have seen how it works & ID Tony's
point then as per his instructions.

& Krause's lie of the day is:

Other than what he's picked up here over the years this liar
clearly doesn't & never has owned a boat & certainly never done any real
boating, yet he insults all the NG real boaters with lies like this;

Have you ever sailed from San Francisco to Hawaii? I have.
Have you ever rounded Cape Horn? I have, twice.
Have you ever transited the Panama Canal? I have.
Have you owned more than 20 boats in your lifetime? I have.
Have you ever sailed large boats competitively? I have.
Have you ever been hundreds of miles from land in a powerboat under

your command? I have.

" The vertical arm on the side of the engine, the one connect=ADed to
the
throttle cable itself, it has a lock nutted screw at it's lo=ADwest
point,
it's actually below the arms pivot point, down close to wher=ADe the
throttle cable connects on. "

Is this the one that is connected to the lower arm that is also
connected to the upper timming adjustment arm?

Ok, I have backed off the screw enough where it just plays back and
forth before it hits the carb arm. even with it not hitting the carb
arm (the arm that connects all three carbs) it still idles fast. Does
this year model have an automatic choke? maybe that is what is stuck?
any ideas?

Thanks for eveyones help so far!

K. Smith

Ok, I have backed off the screw enough where it just plays back and
forth before it hits the carb arm. even with it not hitting the carb
arm (the arm that connects all three carbs) it still idles fast. Does
this year model have an automatic choke? maybe that is what is stuck?
any ideas?

Thanks for eveyones help so far!

Clams is a full on expert in these old Mercs, he'll sort you out I'm sure.

Of course the big question with Krause's lies is just how does he come
up with these absurd BS stories?? After all it's clear he has no
education nor even basic intelligence, well here's an example;

Here's a funny. My bride had to fly out to San Diego Wednesday and
hitched a ride on her company's corporate jet. They landed in Salina,
Kansas, which is due north of Wichita and Skippy's suburb of Derby.

Notwithstanding it's just more of his racist based abuse of others he
sees as lesser people because of their address, the interesting part is
the endless lies he throws in about the non existent "young bride" lie.

Well look where he got the idea of the "corporate jet" lie; guess
what??? Good ol' Ullico spends genuine unionists money on a corporate
jet!!! & as with all their type they squabble over who gets the most of
other peoples' money!!!

ULLICO
Union Pension-Owned Company Set to Lose $20-$30 Million
Its stock windfall from the bankrupt Global Crossing now gone,
Georgine, former head of the AFL-CIO's Bldg. & Construction Trades
Dept., blamed chief financial officer John Grelle for the losses.
Days later, Grelle resigned in protest, blasting Georgine for not
selling the company jet, which costs $3 million a year.

Remember this is hard working in the main, ordinary honest unionists'
money they're ****ing away then fighting over the leftovers???

Mercury 1, Yamaha 0 Gould 0738 General 8 October 21st 04 03:35 AM
40HP Mercury Idle Speed Adjustment? [email protected] General 0 July 27th 04 02:23 AM
Outboard Engine Advice Needed Please - Mercury 40HP Submariner General 16 June 24th 04 09:15 PM
Mercury outboard carburetors Rod McInnis General 5 March 6th 04 03:00 AM
FS: 2004 mercury outboard 25 HP in MA cohenandy Marketplace 0 March 4th 04 03:46 PM