Older Mercury Tilt & Trim Operation?

Old July 12th 03, 05:51 PM
Smokey & Bear

Default Older Mercury Tilt & Trim Operation?

My newly acquired 1976 24' pontoon has a 1943 Mercury model 500 50HP
outboard equipped with power tilt and trim. When you push the "up/out"
button by itself, the motor raises until the limit switch at the motor
opens. When you push both the "up" and "up/out" buttons together, the motor
will bypass the limit switch and all the way up. Pushing the "up" button by
itself does not do anything. The "in" button works fine. I have compared
the wiring to a pair of diagrams in a Clymer manual, and it matches
perfectly. The buttons function correctly when tested with an ohm meter.
All of the wiring is sound, and connected properly.

This control scheme does not appear to be intuitive, in that one would think
that the "up" button would raise to the limit switch, and the "up/out"
button by itself would bypass the limit switch. Naturally I do not have any
of the original owner's instructions. It would be a simple matter to rewire
the system to make it perform as I believe it should, but if this considered
normal operation then it is only me who is confused. By the way, the Clymer
manual sequence of operations matches my intuitive description to a tee.

Is it normal for it to function as it does?

Old July 13th 03, 03:49 AM
Brian Cleveland

That is the "normal" operation. Requiring you to press both up and up/out
to raise the motor to trailer position helps keep you from accidentally
doing so while running

Old July 13th 03, 05:01 AM
Clams Canino

The up/out button does bypass the limit switch - by itself . However it's
the UP button that supplies the +12v regardless of limit switch status.

Easiest thing to do is just to jump the limit swith at the motor. Newer
motors had no such limit switching.

-W