Mercruiser trim gauge not working

Old July 3rd 09, 09:11 PM posted to rec.boats
Tim

Default Mercruiser trim gauge not working

OK, it's somethign that I can live without, but concerning my alpha
one mercruiser trim gauge doesn't work. I dont' need it. but I think
it would be nice to have if I could get it working without having to
overhaul something.

I've noticed a lot of used boats on ebay that have mercruiser drives,
and the ads will state something like "Everything works but the trim
gauge" or something to that effect.

Anybody know what I should look for and maybe what the common malady
is?

another thing is that the speedo barely works at best. It's the type
with the little tube that goes to the stern with the little white
plastic funnel that just clears the keel. It never really has been
responsive, and I've just thought that maybe some spider or associated
bug decided to crawl up in there and make a nest, clogging off the
inlet port or something like that.

cruising across the lake it may (and I do mean *may*) decide to move
the needle some. Now I know these speedo's aren't too accurate and
it's also something I can live without , but Iike it to do something
besides be super lazy.

any ideas on that as well?

Thanks!

Old July 3rd 09, 11:19 PM posted to rec.boats
J i m

Tim wrote:
[...]

You need a new trim sender but unfortunately you are required to buy the
trim limit switch to go along with it. Not sold separately. You also
should try a new pitot. They are cheap to purchase.
Old July 3rd 09, 11:21 PM posted to rec.boats
Tim

On Jul 3, 3:11*pm, Tim wrote:
[...]

Well, looks like I found out some stuff about the trim gauge. I went'
and looked at my boat rather well, and it appears that there are wires
int he system that seems like they were made for the sender, but
that's it. I'm thinking that either somebody and problems with it int
he past and removed but never replaced the sender, OR it could have
been an option and never installed to begin with.

huh!

http://www.marine-engines.net/topics/000046.html?motors
Old July 3rd 09, 11:32 PM posted to rec.boats
Tim

On Jul 3, 5:19*pm, J i m wrote:
Tim wrote:
[...]

thanks Jim. That's what I'm finding out. .

Now I've found some info on my speedo problem. But mine isn'tt he
wheel type. I've got that type on my 23 ft'r an t seems to work and
respond. But I'm still digging.

http://boards.trailerboats.com/cgi-b...c;f=4;t=000723