posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,ott.rec.canoe-kayak,rec.boats.paddle

Default Heavy anchor for canoe?

Well, I went back to the store and thought the Danforth was too bulky
and sharp so I bought a 10lb Navy type anchor. It got the flukes, but
not the bulk.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

Would I need a chain for it???

One situation I may encounter where I need a strong anchor is when I'm
facing a strong wind and the waves flood the boat too much, so I throw
anchor, bail out, and keep on going. This happens quite often in winter
time when I'm returning home. We are two people and one can't keep the
canoe straight into the wind.

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,ott.rec.canoe-kayak,rec.boats.paddle

"Bob Gramann" wrote in message
"donquijote1954" wrote in message
oups.com...
Howdy!

I'm considering a heavy anchor (perhaps 6.5 lbs or heavier) such that
if --for example-- my partner gets tired in heavy wind I can have the
canoe stay put while she rests. Or if I must abandon the flooded canoe
and swim, I can come back and retrieve it at the same spot the next
day.

What do I need?

After you turn it upright and climb in, you can splash out a lot of the
water with your paddle and paddle that boat into shore (you can still
paddle a swamped boat). No need to leave it.

Do canoeists not bring bilge pumps out with them?

--
-Don
Ever had one of those days where you just felt like:

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,ott.rec.canoe-kayak,rec.boats.paddle

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:10:04 -0800, "Don Freeman"
wrote:

Do canoeists not bring bilge pumps out with them?

I did after a couple of years of canoeing. I never saw or heard of
anyone else in MN using one in a canoe, but I did mostly quiet waters.
I needed it mainly because I don't turn my canoe over when I camp, so
if there's a storm, I had to bail or dump it over.
--

r.bc: vixen
Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher, etc..

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,ott.rec.canoe-kayak,rec.boats.paddle

Bob Gramann wrote:
Attach some ethafoam flotation to the insides of the canoe along the sides
in the middle (gluing it works). That makes it pretty stable when it's
flooded. After you turn it upright and climb in, you can splash out a lot
of the water with your paddle and paddle that boat into shore (you can still
paddle a swamped boat). No need to leave it.

It has the foam, only that I didn't know I could paddle it. I guess I
can try this techniques in calm water. Thanks.

Don Freeman wrote:
After you turn it upright and climb in, you can splash out a lot of the
water with your paddle and paddle that boat into shore (you can still
paddle a swamped boat). No need to leave it.

Do canoeists not bring bilge pumps out with them?

True. But will it work when the canoe is fully flooded and perhaps more
waves are splashing on it? I guess I got to try to technique too when I
get the pump.

Before I had a sit on top only so I must get acquainted with sit ins.

wrote:

Do canoeists not bring bilge pumps out with them?

I did after a couple of years of canoeing. I never saw or heard of
anyone else in MN using one in a canoe, but I did mostly quiet waters.
I needed it mainly because I don't turn my canoe over when I camp, so
if there's a storm, I had to bail or dump it over.

Now that you mention it, can it rain hard enough to overwhelm a canoe
even if you got a pump? Are there foot pumps?

wrote:

Do canoeists not bring bilge pumps out with them?

I did after a couple of years of canoeing. I never saw or heard of
anyone else in MN using one in a canoe, but I did mostly quiet waters.
I needed it mainly because I don't turn my canoe over when I camp, so
if there's a storm, I had to bail or dump it over.

Now that you mention it, can it rain hard enough to overwhelm a canoe
even if you got a pump? Are there foot pumps?

..
Yes, as well as electric ones. I've seen both types outfitted in kayaks.
But both do require modifications to the boat itself, ie: a port cut in the
hull for water outtake.

The foot pump requires being mounted on a bulkhead (plastic boats may not be
suitable) so that it has a rigid surface to apply foot pressure to, don't
know if there is any way to mount one in a canoe though, maybe against a
forward floatation chamber? Or maybe mounted on the floor, as canoeists are
sitting in an upright postion.

http://www.seakayakermag.com/2003/03Feb/pump02.htm

Electric (submersible) may be a better option as there doesn't seem to be as
much modification to the boat needed (especially if you don't have a
bulkhead or anything similar):

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...0001/168/75/11

(or: http://tinyurl.com/y462k7 )

Considering how much more water a canoe can hold as compared to a sea kayak
with stern and bow watertight compartments, you probably will want something
with a bit more pumping power then the cylindric handheld type most kayakers
use.

donquijote1954 wrote:

Now that you mention it, can it rain hard enough to overwhelm a canoe
even if you got a pump?

A heavy rainstorm is an inch of two. Do the math.

Are there foot pumps?

Yes.

//Walt
posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,ott.rec.canoe-kayak,rec.boats.paddle

Default How about this anchor?

Walt wrote:
BTW, you should probably have a throw line that's 100' long and floats.
I'd invest in this long before spending money on an anchor.

//Walt

Hey, I already got a poly rope that floats (but bought it for another
reason: the thing to roll it up on). Now what?

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,ott.rec.canoe-kayak,rec.boats.paddle

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 13:04:38 -0500, Walt
wrote:

donquijote1954 wrote:

Now that you mention it, can it rain hard enough to overwhelm a canoe
even if you got a pump?

A heavy rainstorm is an inch of two. Do the math.

Are there foot pumps?

Yes.

Foot pump was what I had. Never fastened it down, just pumped. If
there was a lot in the canoe, I bailed until it was lower, dumped it
(as I had it beached during heavy rains and was in my tent, sleeping.)
a bit and then pumped.